Author Topic: White rot on onions - Success with organic control!!  (Read 9923 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: White rot on onions - Success with organic control!!
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 14:57:17 »
What sized bag?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 19:26:12 »
One of these 100 g
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 13:55:12 »
I went a bit OTT and bought a kilo from Countrywide for £11.95 (used as a conditioner for horses, or possibly a condiment across the channel :tongue3:), as I'm not organised enough to work out where next years stuff will go yet - it usually depends on what I get cleared when. So I'm just doing areas as they come clear. Luckily it's in a resealable tub, though it's very dry (surprise!) and takes some mixing in a watering can.

It certainly pongs strongly!

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 15:14:53 »
I did a bit of research on this my first year on the allotment when my onions were devastated and I tried a product called Armillatox, which is like Jeyes Fluid - I just watered it into the soil after lifting the onions. I have to say it seemed to work but I wasn't 100% happy using it (It used to be classed as a weed killer but EU regs have meant it is now classed as a cleaning product!). But there was something on one site about commercial growers dumping garlic waste on affected fields to make the fungus active without anything to feed on so I can believe this solution would work. I haven't used the Armillatox again but don't seem to have had such a massive problem since, the thing with the fungus is that it is supposed to be very localised borne out by the fact I could pull one onion with the white rot whilst the one only inches away was free of the problem. Still I may try the garlic solution on my next onion site - I use it as a pest control to keep flea beetles and other crawlies away form plants as well.
Boydzfish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal