Author Topic: Plague of house flies!  (Read 2650 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Plague of house flies!
« on: August 07, 2014, 21:08:22 »
Came downstairs this morning to find the kitchen full of flies- no idea where they came from as none of the windows were open! Any ideas?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Plague of house flies!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 21:55:33 »
No idea.  If you do find out can you tell everyone else?

We have loads of spiders but that makes no difference.  So will have to sack em before too long.

Bill

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 22:44:25 »
Something has died in the cavity wall. Happened to us once, starling chick from the attic most probably. Close the doors and give it a good spray with Raid  (made from some sort of plant). Then out with the hoover. Or if you are like me a bit of tennis practice with the electric racket from the pound shop.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 23:28:43 »
It's definitely the season for flies!  But if the flies are big ones and there's a plague of them ... I'd agree with ACE ... sounds like a dead thing somewhere in the walls, floorboards or chimney ... and unless you are feeling very principled - fly-spray is the best thing - no matter how noxious it is!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:38 »
UGH!! I hate flies- even one in the kitchen and I can't stop till it's gone! cooking meat seems to encourage them, but eating a lot less meat now. Hope you get the problem sorted, in the meantime fly spray.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 22:59:08 »
Sometimes I notice an increase in fruit flies in the kitchen when I havent any fruit. I do have a kitchen  compost bin into which I put veg cuttings and tea bags. If I have forgotten to empty it in a while the fruit flies make it their home and some of them escape.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 13:34:09 »
Thanks. We don't have cavity walls so I guess we should check the chimneys and floorboards for smells!

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 00:54:19 »
Do you have a cat? I don't know why I'm asking because if you know cats....

Well you might be a new owner. Kitty might have lost a half dead pressy under the couch/wardrobe/other furniture.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal