Author Topic: Thinking about next year's early potatoes  (Read 3232 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Thinking about next year's early potatoes
« on: July 29, 2014, 21:22:20 »
This year I thought I would be clever and grow my early spuds in bins.  I followed Monty Don's instructions and planted, topped up, watered, topped up, watered,  etc etc.  The top growth looked amazing and the spuds were delicious, but the yield was pathetic.

I used Piccolo Star, second earlies.  Two or three seed spuds per bin and planted in full-size black dustbins with holes drilled in the bottom.  I would be most interested to hear how you guys got on if you use this method.  I really must try this method again next year - I can't think of what else to do with five black dustbins with holes drilled in the bottom.......

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Thinking about next year's early potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:05 »
I can't think of what else to do with five black dustbins with holes drilled in the bottom.......
How about producing worm compost on a grand scale.....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:00 »
I wonder if 2 or 3 plants per dustbin is quite enough for earlies? I usually put 3 in a compost bag, it might be worth trying say five or six in one to compare? Pentland Javelin did well for me this spring, though earlies don't produce as big a crop as mains. You could always try growing carrots or parsnips in one.

I came across this trial of potatoes in bags http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/7903134/Which-potato-to-grow.html
and this one has some interesting ideas http://www.kenoshapotato.com/how_to_grow_potato_in_a_bag.htm
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:46 »
Thank you both, useful suggestions - though not sure about the wormery...

Yes, I will certainly try again next year - maybe my results weren't quite so dreadful after all.  The articles make interesting reading, and I will be experimenting with different varieties.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 21:07:00 »
I'm starting to think that I'll only bother with Lady Chrystl next year, do some in big pots in the greenhouse starting as soon as I get the big propagator going, the rest in the flat in two batches, one in very early with fleece, one in with the bulk of the plantings, they're a lovely potato, I can't be bothered with ROcket and swift anymore, yes they're incredibly early but they don't taste of much once they get to much more than golf-ball size... Would be interested in other folks thoughts for a greenhouse early and a very early outdoor planting.... in the GH they might well end up in the flat rather than always in pots as they ca go where the cucurbits will end up...

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:35 »
Once again, I recommend the Belle de Fontenay as an early, the good thing about them is that if you leave them longer, they swell but they still have a nice flavour. They are very fast and the skins just scrub off when they are new.
The other variety that did very well as an early spud was Agata.  I tried Amandine another year but didn't get a good result.

I am often frustrated that I can't always get the same varieties year after year!  Two years ago I found Pink Fir Apples, last year nothing doing! I had a fantastic late called Claustar which produced huge spuds that were very good all rounders - can't find it again. Looking through my blog I can see that I always have most success with red spuds - Rosabelle seconds were probably teh best I have ever had. Although the few pink spotted King Edward VII I had planted this year that were not stolen (bardstards) were absolutely wonderful...
Even with only 50 M2 of ground I cannot resist my spuds!!! Love them to bits.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:41 »
I like trying new ones every year but 3 faves are annabelle, lady christl and casablanca which did really well this year and should have pulled earlier.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:55 »
I put 3 each of lady christl and charlotte in 2 40L bags and have had 3.5kg out of each, which is outproducing my spuds in the ground this year (4 spuds/row = average of 3kg).

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 19:59:06 »
When we knew we would have to move from our tied house and might have no garden I tried growing potatoes in a container. I only used one potato cut in half in quite a large container and got very good results, you can see this on my website although it is down in "older posts". The variety I used was Kestel.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:56 »
Nice blog, those sweet peas really are something   :drunken_smilie:
When did you plant your potatoes Laurieuk?

That's a good crop Sparrow, what did you use to fill the sacks?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 07:44:56 »
Forgot to add I picked some Piccolo Star 'earlies' on Friday, they are still quite small as late planted and the skins just rubbed off under the tap. I had them boiled with a dab of butter, yum lovely tasting potatoes :toothy10:

suemo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 15:46:43 »
I grew Pentland javelin in potato sacks.I planted early March and put the bags in the greenhouse until April.They grew really well and I harvested them in early June.they were really tasty and I got a good crop.I'm going to grow them at the allotment next year.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 17:27:21 »
Thank you everyone, you have given me some hope now!  Won't have to make a gigantic wormery after all.

I have listed all your suggestions and will refer to it next year.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 14:38:04 »
Sorry to be so long replying but seem to be very busy just now.To be honest I cannot remember the exact date but it was fairly early as I started them off in my greenhouse.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 13:18:29 »

Sorry Jayb, only just seen this - been on my hollibobs.  :icon_cheers:

50/50-ish MPC and composted stable manure with a good handful or two of £land organic potato fertiliser and then a handful of organic Supagro worked into the top 6-7 weeks into growing. Plus a third of a 2-gallon watering can every day once they were properly up and away. Started on 31 March and harvested 13 weeks later. The bag contents then got used as mulch under the cucumbers, which are now nearly 6ft high outside and as happy as a happy thing on happy day. Will be doing that again - my beds need the soil improver and the spuds were fantastic.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal