Author Topic: sweet potatoes  (Read 1952 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
sweet potatoes
« on: July 27, 2014, 19:50:39 »
It is the first time I have tried sweet potatoes. Do you let them meander on the ground or do you train them up canes.? They don't half look like the Ivy plant. I'm not sure whether they will amount to anything, but here's wishing.

pumkinlover

Re: sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:25:57 »
I let mine meander, but this is the first year they have looked anything like successful. Are yours outside or in the greenhouse?
Most years mine haven't had enough foliage to think about what to do with it!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:10 »
First year for me too. I tried to encourage them to go up canes but they were most reluctant to do so. I just let them do what they want and they look really well. I have one in a very large tub at home and 5 on the allotment. I have blight on the potatoes next to them but they do not seem affected by it. I think that the spells of hot weather have helped their progress so far this season.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 22:43:24 »
Mine were bought rather late in the season but they are in the poly-tunnel. They are growing quite well with this weather, but whether they will produce anything is another matter. They have such nice foliage, a bit like ivy to look at. I read they don't have a problem with/getting blight. It will be interesting to hear if yours are successful plot22 and pumpkinlover.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 22:58:12 »
They aren't really related to tomatoes and potatoes (being in the morning glory/bindweed family), that's why they don't get blight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 23:00:09 by Silverleaf »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal