Author Topic: Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam  (Read 2162 times)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam
« on: July 26, 2014, 18:59:32 »
This is only the 2nd time I've ever made jam....the wife always does it...so I'm chuffed.. :icon_cheers:

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 20:01:47 »
Can you post up the recipe please. I would like to try it

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Re: Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:49:19 »
Can you post up the recipe please. I would like to try it 

I'm please to do so... :wave: The basic recipe is for 1Kg...I doubled everything and got 7x 1lb jars.

1kg rhubarb, weighed after trimming, cut into 3cm chunks
    1kg jam sugar
    2 & 1/2 tablespoons vanilla paste....(not the essence)
    juice 1 lemon.

Put the rhubarb into a large saucepan with the sugar and vanilla paste. Heat gently, stirring, until all the sugar has dissolved, then squeeze in the lemon juice and increase the heat.

Boil for about 10/15 mins, skimming off the scum as you go (the fruit should be soft). Test for setting point, if you have a sugar thermometer it should reach 105C)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made some a couple weeks back and gave the odd jar away to friends, they did say it's the best jam they've had, even if I do say so myself I have to agree.  I've never seen Rhubarb jam in the shops, with the Vanilla after taste it great on toast.

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal