Author Topic: Is this a codling moth infestation?  (Read 1251 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Is this a codling moth infestation?
« on: July 25, 2014, 17:47:27 »
The photo shows apples from all three of my apple trees. The tree which is fruiting for the first time is the worst affected. Is there anything I can do? I've googled but can't find a definitive answer.

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Is this a codling moth infestation?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 19:50:03 »
Yep....it is indeed.
There is many ways/treatments to reduce their occurrence but none of them totally get rid of them. I learned to live with them and only take steps of managing their numbers if I start 'loosing' too many fruits perfection ..usually there is still plenty of good ones left in the tree, those I tend to store for winter...and damaged ones can be still used after removing all affected parts off.
Codling moth traps...glue bands...brushing diatomaceous earth powder on tree trunks...all of those are good 'organic' ways of reducing numbers if used accordingly.
Or you can get more effect with chemical spraying..but you'll be spraying beneficial insect too.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 22:26:28 »
Thanks for the info gl - have just been reading up about diatomaceous earth and I think that is what I'll try. For three young trees plus a mini Braeburn how much do you think I need to order? I plan on making a paste to paint a band round the trunks now and to repeat the process again next year. Even though it's very early I shall pick all the affected apples over the weekend and freeze the good bits for chutney making later in the year. Such a shame - I was really looking forward to the first harvest from the Golden Delicious variety I bought in Lidl three years ago, but all of the apples on that particular tree are affected so there is no point in leaving them on the tree. Hopefully, better luck next year!

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:34 »
Easy way to use DE powder is put it in washing up bottle or something similar...and squirt the powder on the tree trunks...but you do have to reapply the stuff if the rain will wash it down.
If all your trees are younsters..250-500g would keep you going for while...it doesn't go off so if you buy larger amount is does get cheaper. I buy it to use for my chickens and in their housing and feed, usually I buy it couple of kg at the time from ebay.
DE has so many uses, so do a little reading and see if it would come handy to buy in bulk.

You can leave the apple in tree to allow them ripen...the damage is already done and the moths larvae has gone...what you see is their exit hole...so there is no more damage to come until the fruit start rotting off. But yes, if you have use for them and room in freezer...why not tackle them now. I don't tend to do much chutney so mine end up making apple sauce..or a pie...or cake...or left to the birds/chickens  :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal