Author Topic: Squash plants  (Read 1211 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Squash plants
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:14:16 »
Hello all.

I am growing butternut, bon bon, autumn crown and pumpkin. Should I pinch the growing tips out of them all or just the pumpkin? If of all, how many fruit should I aim to have on the butternut, bon bon and autumn crown?

Regards

Bluecar

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Squash plants
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 15:51:33 »
I've been removing secondary shoots and growing tips for a couple of weeks on my two Crown Prince plants so that all the strength of the plants goes into the four, already large, squashes on each plant. Last year I got about six fruit on each of my Butternut plants. Don't know about BonBon but as they are small I would think they would easily produce at least as many as the Butternuts. I am growing Butterbush this year. They are well behind the Crown Princes - and oddly enough have so far only produced female flowers, so will probably not set.

Tricia

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 23:07:02 »
Having grown bon-bon in the past then you'll need to start pinching out soon if only because if you don't, pretty soon you won't have anything except bon-bon, it's a rampant grower if left to its own devices, I wouldn't be pinching ou t pumpkins just yet if you want big ones though

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 15:42:06 »
Thanks for your replies.

I'll have a count up tomorrow and react according to the number of squash on each plant. I'll leave the pumpkins alone for the time being.

Regards

Bluecar

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal