Author Topic: Road works miles away  (Read 1195 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Road works miles away
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:50 »
Due to road works the A420 is closed between Swindon and Oxford 15 miles away so they have put temporary lights here presume to stop the lorries using it as a rat run.  Good idea but it means that getting to/from my allotment is very difficult traffic jams here all day presume for seven weeks.  Hopefully people will get the message and go a different way.

Quite a long way round the jams for me.  I shall have to get there early asap before it starts up. :tongue3:

We need a bypass?  Oh no we don't!!!!  My lottie is bang slap on the proposed route.

pumkinlover

Re: Road works miles away
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:06:48 »
We need a bypass?  Oh no we don't!!!!  My lottie is bang slap on the proposed route.

Oh dear, hope that it is not likely to happen  :BangHead:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:17:42 »
It will not keep people away. Modern satnavs have a programme in them that acts on major roadworks and re-directs the driver. Sounds like yours is the route they will pick to re-direct to.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:46 »
I knew my lottie was on the path of the bypass, but reckoned it would be 10 years at least by which time I would be past my sell by date for allotmenting.  With the credit crunch there is no money for it anyway.   So five years on it is still more than 10 years away.

But the huge runway of Raf Fairford the longest in Europe is not being used at the moment, and if Richard Branson or Easy Jet etc etc took it over we would get a by pass in minutes and goodbye allotment.  It seems odd to me that there is talk of an extra runway at Gatwick when there is already one standing idle for 95% of the time.  It was resurfaced a few years ago and then mothballed.  Egypt seem to be able to run their airports for both civilian and military use.  Luxor, Sharm and Taba are all run by the military.

Hopefully they can simply allocated another piece of land for allotments.  But they are going out of fashion again and we have quite a few empty ones.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal