Author Topic: Courgette soup, I need help  (Read 3309 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Courgette soup, I need help
« on: July 21, 2014, 21:18:23 »
Made some soup tonight, gave courgettes away and had some left so made soup, which is OK, but very tasteless.  I used pots, runner beans few peas (which I grew). Fried onions, garlic.  Added a few spring onions left over in the fridge, vegetable stock, tablespoon of basil, oregano and chives.  Simmered it and blended it but it is very bland, not unpleasant, I really need to add something else and boil it up again. Any ideas.  I have cream and cheese but don't really think that would help.  Maybe some spinach.  HELP PLEASE ALL YOU CLEVER COOKS.  I have more courgettes, many more I could add.  Anyway I suppose it should be healthy, even if it doesn't taste too good. ???

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Courgette soup, I need help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 22:01:23 »
How about adding a bit of spice. Cumin and coriander should add a touch of bite to the soup. Don't overdo it just add to your taste.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 22:21:48 »
I have made this in the past with pleasing results

Courgette and Brie Soup

500 gms courgettes  - sliced
350gms potatoes - peeled and chopped
1 onion chopped
2 pints veg stock
225 gms brie- cut into pieces Take off rind
salt and black pepper

Put all ingredients except brie into pan. Bring to boil and simmer for about 15 mins. Stir in cheese until melted. Puree in liquidiser and check for seasoning

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 22:52:29 »
I don't think there's anything lacking in your ingredients.
Not being a veggie I sometimes use chicken stock and the quality of this effects the flavour of the soup.
season it with salt and pepper and add a dollop of goats cheese and a drizzle of chilli oil if you like spice.
Nora
Norf London

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 23:10:03 »
Cumin has spiced it up, but think I added too much stock, think I will taste it again tomorrow.  More courgettes comimg.  I still think a bit of spinach or karlie carl might thicken it up a bit.  Thanks for your help. Got a bit over excited with the courgettes, peas, beans etc.  :sunny:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:04 »
I would add a tin of tomatoes :-)   and then blend it up and reheat.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:59 »
Roasted Garlic and Courgette soup
5 Courgettes,
1 Onion
2 stalks of Celery
3-10 cloves of garlic (they are sweet when roasted )                     
1 tbl spoon olive oil
750ml stock
salt &pepper to taste
Roast garlic in it's skin (I do it in a fry pan over low heat )
Heat oil and fry onions and celery (chopped)for 2/5 mins to soften .
Add sliced courgettes and fry gently for a further 5-10 mins.
Peel garlic, add to pan with stock ,bring to the boil reduce heat and simmer for at least 20mins until cooked.
Blend thoroughly and season to taste.
sanity is overated

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:57:21 »
Blue cheese (Danish Blue or if you are flush Stilton).

Currently feasting on  a batch of soup blended from a load of calabrese which all came at the same time, over winter onions and Tesco's finest stilton (on offer at 6.90 a kg) and it is lovely.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:16 »
I am personally a great fan of herb de province and ginger powder.  They get hurled into all sorts.  Then there is also  a bit of chili powder though that improves overnight.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 14:28:24 »
I make courgette & carrot soup, I add canned toms then add whatever other veg available very often French or runner beans I will finish it off with Pesto to taste - it freezes really well ( even the runner beans) and we will be eating it right through winter.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 18:38:32 »
You all inspired me...I just made my first ever soup...with carrot, potatoes, leek, shallot, courgette, and cabbage...and seasoning.  I'm on a restricted diet (meaning no preservatives), from the hospital but all veg are allowed except tomatoes and spinach!! 
The German style rye bread went well with it (I'm not allowed yeast either  :BangHead: ).

The hand wuzzy blender thingy the husband bought last month came in very handy  :icon_cheers:
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 20:59:09 »
Courgette soup - one huge reason to love the summer!

Add a spoonful or two of green pesto - it's a great flavour enhancer! If you want to, add a tablespoon of soured cream and a sprinkling of parmesan.  This works every time. 

If you're not a veggie, saute some chopped chorizo and sprinkle over the top.

I make a stew-soup, basically with lots of summer veggies, a tin of tomatoes, some paprika and a chilli or several. 

Enjoy!   :toothy10:

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 07:55:48 »
I usually do courgette and carrot with wee bit of chilli and bullion powder and that seems to work well.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:11 »
Tried some yesterday lunch time and it was not unpleasant, but not brill.  Anyway it filled me up until 9 pm and gave me energy to do plenty of weeding at the lovely allotment.  Have frozen the rest and will try some of your ideas to add a bit of extra flavour when I defrost it.  Some good ideas here, thanks everyone.  Found a courgette last night that turned into a marrow overnight, must have missed that one.  Went to the allotment after lunch and couldn't believe it was nearly 9 pm when I got home, time flies at the allotment.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 13:22:58 »
Maybe another good tip (for next time) is to really cook the onion, garlic, seasoning and courgettes in the oil/butter before adding the stock? Maybe the courgettes are also being picked a bit too big? I try and pick them while they are about the length of my hand, as I find they are not so engorged with water that way.
Any type of creamy dairy stuff is good with courgettes - I don't know if you get garlic flavoured cream cheese spread in the UK ? That's lovely stirred into courgettes and you don't need much.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 16:14:14 »
Yes, I think you may well be right.  When I made it before I fried the courgettes, onions, herbs before adding the stock.  This time the recipe said just fry the onions, then cube the courgettes and pots and add to the stock.  Well plenty more courgettes to come so next time I will hopefully get it just right.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal