Author Topic: Iris seed head.  (Read 1576 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Iris seed head.
« on: July 19, 2014, 18:48:24 »
This is the first time I've ever had a seed head on a bearded (Germanic) iris.  The original flower colour was a brownish/maroon, so I'm not sure whether  to try and grow these seeds to see what I get.  Do I leave them on the plant as long as possible...or take it off now and dry them out before planting...do I plant now or in the spring....I've only ever split irises by their roots to propagate them....these came from my mum's garden.  Let me know if anyone needs a pic to see what I am trying to describe.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Iris seed head.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 13:48:21 »
Let the seed head ripen on the plant. When it splits and you can see black seeds inside, spead them out and let them dry. Then bung them in the freezer for a couple of months. Thaw out and soak the seeds in water then plant in pots. Not many will come up straight away, but when you have enough plants throw the rest in an unused part of the garden as they will germinate later, even 10 years later. You could get some interesting colours if you have plenty of other coloured irises about. But they could just revert to type.

The good thing is if you do have a very interesting one, you can divide and sell, even name it (not officially) but nice to name them after  family members for unusual pressies.

Spireite

• Half Acre
Re: Iris seed head.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 18:41:22 »
Thanks for that Ace.  I'll leave it on the plant as long as possible.   The browny maroon irises were the only ones to flower in my garden this year...I planted about 4 different colours in patches last year so they are still settling in I suppose, although 3 doors down had the fabulous regal purple ones flowering...so I can hope  :happy7:
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal