Author Topic: Shelling bean seeds offered and wanted, also heritage peas  (Read 6607 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
I should have quite a long list of beans available later on this year, and am always interested in climbing shelling beans.... I've kind of given up on the dwarf beans now.... I'll grow Speedie in a trough in the G for a very early (and welcome) crop of green beans, and will carry on with red kidney, yin-yang and Ernies big-eye, though if Neabel's Ukreinian gives me a decent crop this year I will move the Ernies on.... I did try quite a few dwarfs this year, but find they take too much looking aftere (weeding mostly) at a hard time of year (Glastonbury) for me, once the climbers set climbing then all they really need is watering....

Anyway I digress...

I'm certain of having supplies of  Giganda (my own selection and now startig to become acclimatised to our conditions) , Bosnian Black-seeded Greenpod, Bridgewater, Small-seeded Pinto, Garden of Eden and Box, and as the other plants start cropping I'll know about them...  who's interested?.... I'm generally looking for climbing beans for shelling, though I'm happy to put together taster packages of say five or six seeds of five or six varieties for first-timers who want to dip a toe.... I am maintaining a low-level search for a pea called "Magnum Bonum", for which I can offer swaps of "Ne Plus Ultra".... I'm afraid I can't really offer the NPU's out at the moment in anything other than ones and twos for any other purpose as I'm trying to build up enough seed stock to plant a whole row next year, ATM I've got about four or five not very healthy plants in a small autowatering trough, had to do that to keep them well away from the rest of my peas...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Shelling bean seeds offered and wanted, also heritage peas
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 23:35:52 »
I'm trying to build up a collection of beans myself - I'm very taken with the idea of growing landraces and I'll start with as much variety as possible and grow them all mixed together. Well, several landraces really; French beans for seed, French beans for pods, runners for seed and runners for pods.

Im always interested in swapping! I'm afraid I don't have any climbing French beans specifically for shelling though but I do have some that have tasty seeds as well as pods (according to people on the internet) assuming they set enough seeds this year.

I'm growing: Cherokee Trail of Tears, Blue Lake, Poletschka, Cosse Violette. I might possibly have a few spare Blue Coco, and I'll definitely have spare Goldfield (from Beans and Herbs). Also peas: Telephone, Golden Sweet, Purple Podded, possibly Elisabeth (from Galina).

Fingers crossed that enough seed will result, because swapping is fun!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 23:37:34 by Silverleaf »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 23:38:26 »
Oh and I much prefer climbing beans too, since I have quite limited space and seemingly unlimited slugs... ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 00:04:01 »
I'm trying to build up a collection of beans myself - I'm very taken with the idea of growing landraces and I'll start with as much variety as possible and grow them all mixed together. Well, several landraces really; French beans for seed, French beans for pods, runners for seed and runners for pods.

Im always interested in swapping! I'm afraid I don't have any climbing French beans specifically for shelling though but I do have some that have tasty seeds as well as pods (according to people on the internet) assuming they set enough seeds this year.

I'm growing: Cherokee Trail of Tears, Blue Lake, Poletschka, Cosse Violette. I might possibly have a few spare Blue Coco, and I'll definitely have spare Goldfield (from Beans and Herbs). Also peas: Telephone, Golden Sweet, Purple Podded, possibly Elisabeth (from Galina).

Fingers crossed that enough seed will result, because swapping is fun!

Hmm... got all of those beans except Poletschka, unless it's also known as Polish Climber (early, slightly smaller version of Borlotti), in which case I have that too.... not too fussed about the peas, like I say I'm interested in finding Magnum Bonum, but these days I generally grow Telephone and Alderman for talls, Hursts Green Shaft for mainscrop standards and Ruthless as an early cos it's better than any of the other things I seem to be able to get to grow that early... happy to send you a few lof my beans once the harvest is in though, or I can bundle youups some now from last years stock.... I generally get 80% germination off year old seed (and around 95% off new)...so ten seeds of each would get you 8 plants...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 00:39:04 »
Hmm... got all of those beans except Poletschka, unless it's also known as Polish Climber (early, slightly smaller version of Borlotti), in which case I have that too....

Well I've seen two different beans with the name Poletschka. The one I have is not like Borlotti at all. It's a Ukrainian bean from the HSL and has light green pods and purple flowers. The seeds are quite round rather than the usual elongated bean shape and start off light purple, darkening as they dry to a shiny dark purple that's almost black - they remind me of blackcurrants! I've only tasted the pods but apparently they make a great dried bean so I'm guessing they'll be nice freshly-shelled as well.
http://purplepoddedpeas.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/shades-of-indigo.html

You're welcome to some assuming I don't have any disasters - all my seed is in the ground right now.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 00:42:19 by Silverleaf »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 00:40:55 »
happy to send you a few lof my beans once the harvest is in though, or I can bundle youups some now from last years stock.... I generally get 80% germination off year old seed (and around 95% off new)...so ten seeds of each would get you 8 plants...

That'd be lovely, thank you! :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 20:36:16 »
I might have a few Magnum Bonum later in the season, it depends how many seeds I get. I should definitely have it next year.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 20:06:26 »
Hmm... got all of those beans except Poletschka, unless it's also known as Polish Climber (early, slightly smaller version of Borlotti), in which case I have that too....

Well I've seen two different beans with the name Poletschka. The one I have is not like Borlotti at all. It's a Ukrainian bean from the HSL and has light green pods and purple flowers. The seeds are quite round rather than the usual elongated bean shape and start off light purple, darkening as they dry to a shiny dark purple that's almost black - they remind me of blackcurrants! I've only tasted the pods but apparently they make a great dried bean so I'm guessing they'll be nice freshly-shelled as well.

You're welcome to some assuming I don't have any disasters - all my seed is in the ground right now.

Yes please then :-) I'll have my bean-box with me on saturday if you're coming...

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 20:07:28 »
I might have a few Magnum Bonum later in the season, it depends how many seeds I get. I should definitely have it next year.

Cool, swap you for a few NPU, unless there's other things I might have that you're after?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 20:50:21 »

Yes please then :-) I'll have my bean-box with me on saturday if you're coming...

I am. :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 19:35:32 »
one that I have is San ANtonio, it's yellow podded and it climbs, but it isn' t one you'd grow for the pod, it's a sheller...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 13:03:23 »

Cool, swap you for a few NPU, unless there's other things I might have that you're after?

I have NPU, but I'm sure you'll have something else I'd be interested in. Wait till I've harvested the seed anyway, or we might as well count unhatched chickens.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 18:40:10 »
Chris I have just found two Magnum Bonum seeds if they are of use please PM.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 13:04:39 »
Chris I have just found two Magnum Bonum seeds if they are of use please PM.

Got given some at the get together in Brum, so I think I'm OK for now

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 17:07:29 »
I'll definitely have some Ne Plus Ultra climbing peas available for swaps later this year. they've been kept isolated from other varieties so should be true

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal