Author Topic: Chickens - what do I need to know?  (Read 4809 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Chickens - what do I need to know?
« on: July 11, 2014, 18:00:39 »
Hi all!

So we are getting some chickens.  We are busy building the coop and run and reading books and internet articles on feeding and keeping them healthy.

I am sure there are loads of things I should know that the books don't mention and I'd appreciate some first hand tips and pointers on keeping healthy birds (for eggs).

Picking up three ex free range ladies in around 10 days - very exciting but a little nervous!   :blob7:

Cheers!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Chickens - what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 18:04:12 »
First thing

If you think your chicken run is fox proof think again.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 18:27:36 »
Good quality feed...fresh water...poultry grit....good bedding (shavings or shredded straw) with added lice/mite treatment powder is the very basics. If they get little bit greens each day (or even some berries) that is bonus that will keep their life that little bit more interesting, will help them keep healthier and will give you better eggs  :icon_cheers: Any wheat/corn based feed is better to leave to later on the year when they will need it for extra energy for keeping warm.
Snails are good source of protein that they will gladly eat, though need to help them by crushing the shells first....the only issue with their delicacy is that you need to keep chicken's worming updated...which is not bad thing to do even without snails in their diet...many different options are available.
If possible, keep feeders elevated from the ground..it will help keeping rodents away..chickens will scatter less feed and there is less food loss.
Even the sun is good for them...they will need some shady area too.
Dust baths...they like to keep themselves 'clean' and it is their part of their natural behaviour. If you can make them tray or let them have some corner in pen where you can put some sand (with added wood ash and/or lousepowder or similar)..they will gladly roll around in it and get themselves truly covered.. :icon_cheers:
One next box between 3 girls would do but 2 would be even better...again, keep clean bedding there with some 'powder' at the bottom of the box will keep girls happy.
Perch(es) to climb on and roost..indoors and outdoors will give them place to nap, 'play' or just sit down and watch the world go by.
OH...and don't forget to talk to them...A LOT!...they will soon start talking to you too and chicken keeping become that little bit more interesting and easier when you can pick their moods and needs by the sounds they make  :icon_thumleft:

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 18:30:07 »
Thats great advice there:)

Definately talk to them:), we talk to ours all the time and they certainly do have moods. one of ours you can tell what mood she is by her tone of squark!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 16:35:54 »
Thanks - just spent the day putting the run etc together and we get the ladies next Sunday.
The hall is full of feed and various bits and pieces - never know you needed so much stuff!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 19:10:36 »
Well we picked up four lovely ladies today and they are settling in and scratching around.
Wings clipped, dusted in case of red mite and shown their new home.

Blimey - dont they eat a lot!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 21:12:53 »
Well we picked up four lovely ladies today and they are settling in and scratching around.
Wings clipped, dusted in case of red mite and shown their new home.

Blimey - dont they eat a lot!

How have they settled in?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:46 »
Well we had two eggs this morning, one of which I have just eaten soft boiled -mmmm scrummy.
They seem fine, eating well and not too much squabbling.  Left them having a preen and poo!!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:20:36 »
Well we had two eggs this morning, one of which I have just eaten soft boiled -mmmm scrummy.
They seem fine, eating well and not too much squabbling.  Left them having a preen and poo!!!

:icon_cheers: 'your own' eggs...the best! :icon_thumleft:
If they do have bit of squabbling it will settle very quickly..few interesting things to nibble usually will help as 'first aid'..one just cannot fight with beak full of 'grub'  :glasses9:
I'm counting days with my girls now....they are nearly 14 weeks old, so another 4 weeks or so and I shall enjoy some freshly laid ones too...  :icon_cheers:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 14:31:34 »
What I need to know is... how to I persuade Him Indoors that keeping chickens is a good idea? ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal