Author Topic: Bees and wasps -where are they all?  (Read 2234 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Bees and wasps -where are they all?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:09:05 »
A couple of months ago we had hundreds of bees in the garden.  They were mainly on the raspberries and jasmin.  Now we only have a few flying around.  The tree bumble bee hasn't taken up residence in a bird box this year.  I am pleased about that as I can use the plot where the box is situated and not be in fear of attack.  Is it just our garden or have others noticed that many of the bees have disappeared.  Could it be that they have completed their cycle already and the queens have gone to bed for their winter hibernation?  Could the hot weather we have had be something to do with it? 

Then there are the wasps.  I doubt if I have seen more than half a dozen this year, most of them indoors.  I think some of those were queens looking for somewhere to build a nest as it was very early in the season.  Is it just too early for them?  I would have thought the warm weather would have produced more of them.  We have eaten outside quite a bit this year and haven't once been annoyed by a wasp.  Not that I am complaining though as I don't like them near me as I react to their sting.

cestrian

• Half Acre
Re: Bees and wasps -where are they all?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 21:14:15 »
We had a bumble bee nest in the back garden and they were everywhere in June. Maybe they have done their thing because I've hardly seen any over the last week or so.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 18:42:07 »
I've still got plenty, and honeybees have been swarming like mad; I've acquired four colonies that way since the beginning of last month.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 20:35:21 »
Bumbles seem to be around ok but its butterflies that seem scarce. Despite having several buddlias there certainly don't seem as many a usual. I haven't planted any winter brassica as my house is on the market, so the cabbage whites are having to make do with radish....

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 21:32:55 »
In contrast, I've never seen so many butterflies in my garden as this year. This might be something to do with the many wild areas we have right now!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal