Author Topic: Rose hedge  (Read 1620 times)

small

• Hectare
Rose hedge
« on: July 01, 2014, 14:44:20 »
We have to demolish a dangerous boundary wall, and are thinking of replacing it with a rose hedge. One side of the wall is block paved and leads to a garage - I can plant well within the border on the other side, but would still prefer a thornless rose if possible. The boundary runs north-south and only gets sun in the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations, warnings etc? Will they be adversely affected by the quantity of spalled brick and crumbled mortar in the border? There are already 4 rose bushes in the border, they've only been there for 3 years so would there be a problem with rose sickness?
And if roses are a no-no, what other hedging would work? The rest of the area is bordered by privet, and I really don't want to put any more of that in!

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Re: Rose hedge
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 13:56:52 »
How about a fuschia hedge?  When my MIL was alive she had a beautiful hedge of fuschias consisting of small red and blue flowers, the name of which escapes me.  I have some of the same fuschia growing in my garden but as specimens. They grow quite quickly too!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 18:36:13 »
Anything which likes a limy soil. I doubt whether a scattering of young roses would have much impact on anything you planted.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:55:24 »
I would dig deep and get rid of the rubble. The ground will dry far to quickly with that sort of rubbish in there. Fill the hole with a nice fresh load of soil and compost and use the rubbly stuff to top an earth path somewhere else in the garden. Then Plant elaeagnus. There are all sorts but limelite always looks good or mix the varieties and make a tapestry type of hedge. It can be kept down low, or grow it very high, it is easy to cut and prune, evergreen and the scent from the tiny little flowers is to die for. I expect the hedge will be there for a very long time so make the effort now instead of going back after a few years  to renew the plants that will struggle and even die in the rubble.

Forgot to say, a rose hedge will be a magnet for old carrier bags and crisp packets.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:01:54 by ACE »

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 16:08:58 »
Too late but thanks all, we put up a double picket fence instead and pots of red geraniums, looks lovely.
Ace, as if people in the Midlands throw crisp packets around - perish the thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal