Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 6791 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
What are you eating?
« on: June 24, 2014, 16:57:46 »
Cannot find the old thread.

I am having lamb with new potatoes, courgettes, broccoli and broad beans with parsley sauce. :glasses9:  Sitting outside in the sunshine. :coffee2:

Then I shall nip down to allotment for strawberries and raspberries for dessert.

Makes all that work worthwhile.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 17:08:01 »
freshly made strawberry ice cream:)
have had strawberry jam
milkshake
with cream
in a cake..

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 22:59:09 »
Last night, lettuce tomato cucumber radish scallions new potatoes rocket leaf beet a few raw peas, then raspberries and strawberries, no wonder we get indigestion....as you say, though, makes it all worth while especially the tomatoes and new potatoes, every year I think I shan't bother and then this happens....

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:44 »
New potatoes, cabbage, mini caulis, beetroot, perpetual spinach, lettuce, carrots, fresh garlic and Japanese onions over here on the east Yorkshire coast.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 13:12:09 »
Lettuce, new potatoes, courgettes, garlic, herbs, snowpeas and bloody rhubarb until it is coming out of our ears (think I will make compote of it and put it in jars!).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 13:49:54 »
More raspberries than we can eat (the rest go in the freezer) from home garden. School plot is doing well for strawberries. There were some left after the children had had their fill the other day, well they left the squishy/over ripe ones, which I turned into some strawberry ice cream. I harvested the last of the overwintering broadies last week, which were lovely.
gone to pot :D

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:51:02 »
Last night I made a dish of Gigandes Plaki (greek gigandes beans in a sweet herby tomato sauce) - apart from salt, olive oil and cinnamon all the ingredients came from the allotment!

Gigandes beans
Tomatoes
Onions
Garlic
Oregano
Parley
Basil
Courgette

Absolutely delicious!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:01 »
Its brilliant when you can source all your components for a recipe squeezyjohn from your Plot/Garden.

I hope you enjoyed your meal,and you now have my juices going as we are off to Cyprus next Wednesday and the Meat Meze served to us always has a bowl of this delivered to our table,im a cheat and use Tinned Butter beans to make it at home but theirs always tastes so much better......but then I have not had to cook it,

You have intrigued me now to source some of the beans to grow next season.

Gazza

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 14:03:11 »
Gigandes grow really well where I am in Oxfordshire ... just like a runner bean plant - but if anything a bit stronger  and could go taller than the tallest bamboo you can get.  They need to get in as early as you can to have a long enough season to make a good number of full pods.  You only get between 1 and 4 in each pod ... but they're massive!  Instead of picking the pods green - you wait for them to go brown and crispy and then dry them further off the plants.

You can get the seed from realseeds.co.uk (2nd mention in a day ... I don't work for them ... honest!)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 22:32:33 »
Amongst everything else... figs, if you can believe it they are still coming!  :sunny:

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 04:59:53 »
Just made a casserole for lunch. I have it every day of the year.
Today I used bought mince, salt and sorghum flour.
The rest of the ingredients came from my garden.
Potatoes, carrots, parsnip, beetroot, silver beet, spinach, bush dried peas, sun dried basil and coriander, thyme, tarragon, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, garlic, parsley, chilli, capsicum and sun dried tomato and capsicum.
When the season permits I also add fresh tomatoes, capsicums, basil, coriander and in winter water chestnuts and arrowroot.
I have an allergy to cabbage family, pumpkins and beans so they are not included.
For fruit today I have eaten fresh asparagus, a raw carrot, strawberries, frozen boysenberries and dried apricots and figs. That should be enough.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:18 »
When the season permits I also add ………………... and in winter water chestnuts

Jim - Are you saying you successfully grow your own water chestnuts?  It's something I've always planned to do, but never got around to.  Tell me more - how do you do it?  One of my all time favourite fresh vegetables (Icky from a tin).  One day…………..

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:40:26 »
When the season permits I also add ………………... and in winter water chestnuts

Jim - Are you saying you successfully grow your own water chestnuts?  It's something I've always planned to do, but never got around to.  Tell me more - how do you do it?  One of my all time favourite fresh vegetables (Icky from a tin).  One day…………..

location, location, location!  I think - Jim, you live and garden down under.  Very envious that your spring  is only just starting  :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 13:24:05 »
This year I FINALLY got few seeds of Aribibi gusano chillies to germinate....and now just started eating them......OOOOHHHHHHH!
They are utterly hitting my 'moreish button'. No, I don't eat them on their own, far too hot, but chopped into teeny bits..half a pea size and few little ones place on top of cracker bread with cheese slice..OOOOOoooo...I struggled to stop last night and movie nibble took over interest of watching part.
I really fancied having some crackers, cheese and these chillies for breakie but knew that once I start there is no stopping... :drunken_smilie:
I might just have few now that I think about it... :angel11:

Chillie that is now included my permanent 'must grow veg variety list'  :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 17:11:03 »
Not so exotic here.  Enjoying sweet corn, raspberries and broccoli.  All Excellent. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 18:33:43 »
Last night was a full on roast - Rib eye beef with roast spuds, squash and parsnips, boiled carrots and broccoli.  Even the gravy was made using my onions, celery and carrots! 

Tonight may be cold beef leftovers with some home pickled gherkins, hot and spicy chutney and some rye and beer bread.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 19:07:37 »
Last night was a full on roast - Rib eye beef with roast spuds, squash and parsnips, boiled carrots and broccoli.  Even the gravy was made using my onions, celery and carrots! 

Tonight may be cold beef leftovers with some home pickled gherkins, hot and spicy chutney and some rye and beer bread.
MMMM...any room around the table for 'little one'...?  :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 19:42:13 »

MMMM...any room around the table for 'little one'...?  :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Always for a fellow chili lover!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 14:23:21 »
Nearly last beans, tomatoes, broccoli (this is the broccoli that was a cheapie packet for 29p, had biggish brocs, then spears all the rest of summer, survived the mild winter and gave us spears from spring on with a big boost of production in the last month!).  Rocket and endive, also landcress and lamb's lettuce. Celery is lovely too.   Dug up the last of the Sharpo potatoes and they are magnificent baker size.  Unfortunately half of them were mouse nibbled, should have been done earlier, but the foliage still looked so good. 

Really good looking chard too at the moment, with very wide, white ribs.  I feel chard parcels coming on - minced beef with onions, a little chili, garlic, perhaps some bacon pieces chopped small rolled up in large chard leaves and slow cooked or stove topped in tomato sauce.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendιe, France
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 15:07:09 »
This evening - spaghetti or linguine with chilli and curly kale from the garden plus some garlic and bacon bits.    Tomorrow's lunch, home grown broccoli soup with Stilton.   
Obxx - Vendιe France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal