Author Topic: Manure issues  (Read 2206 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Manure issues
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:01:19 »
I am pleased that we now have a source of good manure.  Wonderful.

Found the stewardship leaflet for Forefront ie aminopyralid

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_08f7/0901b803808f7bea.pdf?filepath=range/pdfs/noreg/010-57923.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

I am still not sure that this is good enough.  It needs a warning, DO NOT PUT MANURE OR TREATED PLANT OR COMPOST FROM TREATED PLANTS ANYWHERE NEW BROADLEAVED PLANTS.

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Manure issues
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:27:59 »
omg it really is back in the uk

http://www.manurematters.co.uk/gardening.htm

the farmer behind hand sprayed thistles, which were dead in a few days so yes it is being used locally too. Watch out horse manure users too, the hay could have come from anywhere

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 15:19:57 »
What weedkiller did he use.  Are you sure he used aminopyralid.   The field should not be used for hay and if the livestock are transferred to another field that should not be used for hay either. 

I am still not convinced it does not come with feed stuffs.  We had a problem but the hay had not been treated.  We could not identify the source of the problem.

I am pleased that our manure at the moment is clear but I am still testing every batch.
I do think we need to continue to be vigilante.  It is my opinion that the stewardship protects Dow from being sued but still does not adequately protect the gardener.

They say it is ok after 6 months which is rot because it took two plus years here.  Fat hen is good it shows problems much quicker than beans.   It also does not respect my wish to not have the stuff at all.  I believe that the lime in the soil somehow prevents the stuff breaking down.   I found a report that said that in some soil types it does not breakdown as quickly but unfortunately have been unable to ascertain which soil types were involved.   If it is not in soil and just stacked it does not breakdown at all.   

The list of plant is also not comprehensive because we also had problems with courgettes.  We also had problems with compost from unaffected plants such as brassicas.

If they have used Aminopyralid the odd cupped shape of the new plant growth is very easy to spot.

It has been back in the UK for sometime now.   

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:50:44 »
I've given up on horse manure, have got a supply of chicken manure so I think I'll be going with that plus some form of biochar method..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal