Author Topic: Biting the Bullet  (Read 3140 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Biting the Bullet
« on: May 19, 2014, 19:53:12 »
So I've finally bitten the bullet and asked to be placed on the waiting list for the site nearest to me in my town.  About a mile away...probably 3/4 of mile down the local footpath, so about a 15 - 20 min walk.  I mentioned this to my Mother Inlaw last week, and she commented that if I wanted it to get daily care visits from her whenever we are away,  then it would have to be on a site nearer to her...which would be 3 miles away from me and far less walkable for me!!!!  No, I'm going for the local site.  Hopefully they will let me know the waiting time. 
I think some of the sites in my town even have immediate availability, but I only want this one particular site. Plus it is the one with the Assoc cabin shop on site, which will be very handy.  However this probably makes it more popular.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Biting the Bullet
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 23:19:04 »
Fingers crossed for you  :wave:

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:14 »
I received a letter yesterday telling me I've been allocated a plot on my preferred site  :icon_cheers:
I shall go down later today with the mother inlaw (second pair of eyes and all that) to have a looksee, and make sure it's not in a rubble/asbestos tip before I sign anything.  It's described as 'Plot 15b' so I'm assuming it's a half plot...
...note to self....take the tape measure and camera :toothy10:

The husband did a VERY good job of containing his enthusiasm when I told him...I think that he thinks he's not going to see much of me for the rest of the year whilst I try and tackle it  :glasses9:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:12:43 »
 :icon_cheers: Congratulations on being allocated a plot.
Let us know how you get, hope it is in a reasonable state  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:14 »
Hope it's a nice plot and not too badly overgrown or full of rubbish.  Let us know.

PS  unless OH thinks that he will get roped in to do the heavy work.................  he'll like to eat the veggies that's for sure  :happy7:

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:13 »
...well the husband is not too happy that my ENTIRE garden veg plot this year is full of just 2 Giant Pumpkin plants (and I prepped that all by myself by hand, digging up tree stumps and all)...and he's miffed that neither of us will eat the end product!!!  So I'm thinking if I have an allotment then the  pumpkins can go there next year, with maybe some potatoes and few veg...and I can put some fruit cages in the garden.   Lots of planning to do.
I shall try and post some pics once I've been to see it.  :glasses9:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:29 »
Good luck, I was so excited when I first got mine and still enjoy it.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 16:44:11 »
Well I've just got back from having a look at the site, it's a "5 pole or thereabouts" half plot named '15b' which we measured today at 35'x37'.  Unfortunately it's at the back of another (well maintained) half plot so the only access is down the narrow paths.  We wandered around the site talking to everybody who happened to be tending their plots.  We had a couple of suggestions about talking to the council and asking for a long skinny half plot so there is access from the roadway down the centre of the site.  Or asking for an "A" plot which is the front plot when they are split in half.
I think that a half plot will be ample for me to tackle and my inlaws are quite happy to help me start to clear it and then have a row or 3 of their own on my plot :toothy10: I'm happy to accept all help offered.
I  just 'phoned the council and tried to explain that I'd like to ask for a slightly different plot and she promised to pass my message on. Walking around today it did look that there maybe one or 2 others that are available.   Fingers crossed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal