Author Topic: Deposit/bond for allotments?  (Read 4261 times)

Sue7

• Not So New ...
Deposit/bond for allotments?
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:53:59 »
Hi

I'm new to the committee of my allotment society and at a recent meeting the perennial question was raised about what to do about plotholders who don't clear their plots when they vacate their plots - either voluntarily (due to age, ill-health, moving etc) or because they have been asked to vacate as they aren't working their plots. 

Unfortunately the committee hasn't traditionally been as proactive as they could have been about dealing with plots not sufficiently worked and therefore those taking them over often inherit a bit of a mess.  Frequently the incoming new allotmenteer has to clear away the assortment of stuff left behind which could include pots, tunnels, stakes, wood, etc - a lot of which is past its best and not reusable.  Some new pfolks have had to prune overgrown trees or even dig them up in the case of a large fig tree which shaded over half the plot! 

The question posed was whether we should start charging a bond which would be returned if the plot was left in a reasonable condition.  I realise 'reasonable condition' is a very subjective thing but I'm sure some appropriate words could be found for the constitution if the committee wanted to go down this route.  At the moment the only deposit charged is for the gate/shed key. 

I said I would ask if any other allotment societies implemented any processes to ensure that plots were left in a workable state when vacated?  If people are vacating their plots there's little incentive to tidy them up before walking away from them so what incentive would anyone suggest? 

Appreciate any thoughts

digmore

• Half Acre
Re: Deposit/bond for allotments?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:09:42 »
If you are on a council site, the council can charge them a fee for clearing and making the plot good again, if your new to the committee why don't you download the Tenancy Agreement from St. Helens Council and see if the agreement can be adopted, its very good.

Digmore.   :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:43 »
We are on a private site and have a deposit.  Looking at the state of empty plots, my guess is that very few actually get theirs back.  I also estimate that is totally inadequate to cover the cost of the work done to clear sites.  Which are often left covered in various types of litter.   Though the incomer often gets various fruit bushes and rhubarb.   

Even a few weeks between tenants the plots get high in weeds but actually most are waist high in weeds when the plot holders give up.    Those that are not are totally depleted in any kind of nutrient and might look more or less clear but are not in a fit state for growing anything.

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:11:32 »
If you are on a council site, the council can charge them a fee for clearing and making the plot good again, if your new to the committee why don't you download the Tenancy Agreement from St. Helens Council and see if the agreement can be adopted, its very good.

Digmore.   :wave:

Our plots are on council land but they don't have any input into the running of the 4 sites within our society.  Thanks for the suggestion about St Helens council - will take a look at it and see if we could adopt any of its practices.  We have a fairly robust constitution and allotment rules but unfortunately when it was drafted it didn't contain anything about how plots should be left when vacated. 

Thanks
Sue

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:16:07 »
We are on a private site and have a deposit.  Looking at the state of empty plots, my guess is that very few actually get theirs back.  I also estimate that is totally inadequate to cover the cost of the work done to clear sites.  Which are often left covered in various types of litter.   Though the incomer often gets various fruit bushes and rhubarb.   

Even a few weeks between tenants the plots get high in weeds but actually most are waist high in weeds when the plot holders give up.    Those that are not are totally depleted in any kind of nutrient and might look more or less clear but are not in a fit state for growing anything.

Thanks, Digeroo.  I know it is very difficult in practice to get people to clear their plots when vacating esp if they have been asked to vacate it because they aren't working it and it is already overgrown.  There's little incentive for them to tidy it apart from maybe taking some tools.  Not an easy situation to control!   :sad1:

Agree, the upside is that people often inherit trees and other plants left behind which can be a good thing when you're new.

Thanks
Sue

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 20:38:24 »
Sue,

Do apply under The Freedom of  Information Act, it will get downloaded to you within days. I would recommend this tenancy agreement to both private and council committee's and also individuals as a guide to what should and is expected of them.

It separate's the good tenants from the bad immediately. Once read and digested it will be so obvious.

Digmore.  :wave:

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 15:11:46 »
This is a difficult one and I have thought about it for a few days now.

I can understand the frustration of all concerned but pose the question "will regulation get rid of the problem or make it worse".

For instance will the deposit left actually cover the costs of making good?  If they don't can you claim them back from the previous tenant?  Would it be worthwhile doing it?  Who would control it? and who would check thst the deposits are held and available for repayment?  Who would act as Judge , Jury and executioner if a challenge is made for the non-repayment of the deposit?  Some might consider that their rubbish was a lot less then the last person that left.  Everyone may be glad to see the back of the leaving tenant. Suddenly a seemingly easy solution can turn into a nightmare for anyone dealing with it.

What about all tenants chipping in an equal share to have a skip brought to the plots to get rid of rubbish?  A skip may not be needed every year and could cause some extra work but it might be a solution.  You might get skip divers to use up the rubbish from other tenants.  This isn't ideal either but thinking outside the box or being imaginative might help the situation.

Anyway good luck with your efforts.

regards
Bill

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 19:51:37 »
We costed it out with the council officer and came to a figure of upto £1500.00 at the outside. This included removing asbestos sheds and sheets etc. By the time a council team comes and clear the site and render it fit for re let, the costs stack up.

But if the Assoc. is responsible for the costs of clearing the plot,  why should the Assoc. members have to cover the problems and costs of the few.

Question? What size deposit would deter a defaulting member.

Digmore.  :wave:

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 10:46:44 »
when we took our plot on it had been neglected for over a year, so you can imagine the state of it! It took us months of hard work to even begin to see the ground..personally I think that is part of the joy.I wouldnt want to take on a 'perfect' plot as it wouldnt be so much fun!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 11:41:59 »
I wish our plots were in enough demand to merit the kinds of expulsion outlined above!

There are several supposedly "occupied" full plots that have been neck high in grasses and perennials since I started.  Every year on one of them - the tenants come down for a day, tut a bit, make embarrassed conversation like "I don't know how you do it" with the regulars, clear a 4'x4' patch and plonk down a raised bed frame and then disappear for the rest of the season while their weed seeds blow all over my plot. 

One of the others must have had some kind of warning made last year - but they didn't even turn up personally - instead they paid someone to come and strim the entire plot and haven't lifted a finger since.

The sad fact is that without enough demand - there is no real justification for evicting people and leaving the plots unclaimed.  But there is also no pressure on the people to get on with it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal