Author Topic: My new girls and no doubt some boys too..  (Read 12603 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: My new girls and no doubt some boys too..
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 10:15:27 »
Oh that's sad! But as you say, just one of those things .............. and it was a very cold night.  Ok on the feathers developing.

With all that excitement no wonder you fell asleep in the lounge  :blob7:

Forgot to say: when the pendulum swings in a circle, also look at the direction.  For some dowsers clockwise says 'female' and anticlockwise 'male' or the opposite (it is personal).

You don't have to be physically very close to the broodie, just 'tune in' mentally.  Close physical presence makes it easier and avoids false triggers, but is not essential.  How to concentrate on each chick separately with them all running round, I don't know.   :toothy10:

Happy Spring! 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:19:07 »
Dinner time!!!!

Heh...only time they are staying still so I can snap some photos. They are 'flying' like flock of sparrows around the pen..all over the place.
4 weeks old now...don't time fly when you are having fun....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 18:26:35 »
What a lovely sight!  They look the size of pigeons?  Glad you still have a white one and the beige one is now speckled light brown.  Nice to see them thriving  :sunny:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 18:30:17 »
What a lovely sight!  They look the size of pigeons?  Glad you still have a white one and the beige one is now speckled light brown.  Nice to see them thriving  :sunny:

Not quite that big..more of black bird size.
They are all doing really well and are eating food almost as fast as I can provide it. Well..supposed they are classed as young 'teenagers' now...always hungry  :icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 17:38:36 »
Are you any closer now identifying boy/girl?  How are they doing now?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 18:16:34 »
Are you any closer now identifying boy/girl?  How are they doing now?

Oh yes...boys 'went away' last week and mother was returned to her home and she is already on the job again there...
In the end there was 3 boys and I'm now left with 4 girls.. :icon_cheers: The little on you liked and the one brown (my favourite) did turn out to be girls  :icon_cheers: The brown one is only one with 'sort of name'...hubby calls her buzzard....she looks very bird of predator like.
As it is now, I'm happy what I've got...though it has been mentioned that there just might be little addition to come later on for the flock.
I'll try to get the girls together for photo shoot but they are bit skittish still...unless one has treat in her hands..then they jump all over the place in excitement  :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:29 »
I'm glad that's worked out so well, Goodlife.  4 girls is a nice number (and maybe more to come).  hope you will get the first eggs in autumn.  Looking forward to that photo of 'buzzard and friends'.   :wave:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 11:23:03 »
Congratulations on your brood, Goodlife.  I look forward to seeing more photos. 

Is that Buzzard near the drinker at the top of the picture?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 14:48:21 »
Is that Buzzard near the drinker at the top of the picture?

Yes, that's the one... :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 13:25:28 »
Little 'update'...here we are..whole 10 weeks old  :icon_cheers:
Sorry about showing bums..but we just don't have time to stand still for the photos...!

If my owner is quick she just might get half decent picture of me (buzzard) ;

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 13:26:52 »
Nom, nom...must keep eating...HUNGRY!...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 00:05:00 »
They are lovely.  I can see why you call the brown one buzzard.  Her eyes and beak are very raptor like.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:53 »

They look like proper young chickens now!  No wonder with all that good food.  Buzzard has all the 'looks'!  Do they already have a pecking order at this stage? 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:48 »

They look like proper young chickens now!  No wonder with all that good food.  Buzzard has all the 'looks'!  Do they already have a pecking order at this stage?
I think by listening the noises they make...they are (re-)establishing their pecking order...but it is all quite calm really, you just hear odd squeal when one of them have been put into her place by sharp peg on head.
Yeah,,talking about 'good food'...they eat better we do!..all the different choices offered through out the day..greens, pellets, grain, clean water, berries.. :drunken_smilie: They just had arm full of beetroot tops...though they won't eat them all..but have great fun by throwing them all over the place  :icon_cheers:
BTW...they are all named now....we call them 'buzzard and the ravens'... :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 14:37:46 »
They are lovely, I would so like to keep hens.  But OH is not keen.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Ravens and the buzzard
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 15:29:02 »
Me and my girls we had some quality time in garden today....though they might not think so.
Now that they are laying and being much heavier bird, I have finally decided to let them out from their pen for little trot around garden. Armed with bowl of corn sends them into frenzy and they are practically climbing on the pen netting trying to get their treat.

BUT..."not so quickly little girls...mum has got little surprise for youuuuu"  :angel12:
couple of them have shown few rough scale patches on legs...so I'm thinking there might be bit of scaly legs developing. Bought the treatment and filled bowl with warm water...and I was planning to get them out one at the time and give them foot bath and treatment. To get over their upset, little bit of freedom and treat of corn should be good remedy for it.

None of the girls have had encounter with warm water, nor have I really handled them that much. Two of the girls are easy, they practically walk to my hands and buzzard and third one of the ravens are 'wild ones'.
The 'easy ones' quite enjoyed having their feet washed in warm bath  :icon_cheers:, and catching the reminding 2 was 'fun'..and they didn't take their bath kindly neither. I'm sure buzzard was swearing and spitting right dirty old words ....good thing I don't do chicken talk (should have washed its beak for letting such a language out  :tongue3:). But once they were let down, they tummy ruled and all upset was forgotten.   :icon_cheers:  :laughing7:

I'm quite looking forward to repeating it all in few days time... :evil6:

And .....some of my girls 'treasures'.....buzzard lay the dark ones... :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 15:39:43 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: My big girls...
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 11:59:48 »
Well, how time flies... :drunken_smilie:

My girls are now just over a year old and laying well. That little beige chick, 'buzzard', is really really big girl and although laying well for her breed (welsummer) she is not quite as mean 'egg machine' as our 'raven's '.
Well, she might not lay as many eggs but look what kind of whopper she did this morning...OUTCH! ...left is goose egg, middle is her 'outch' egg and on the right is the 'normal' size she would lay.  :drunken_smilie:

And yes it turned out to be a double yolker too...but it is no more...NOM NOM :glasses9:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: My big girls...
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:29 »
Goodness, that is a monster egg!  Glad they are doing so well   :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal