Author Topic: First potatoes  (Read 1573 times)

Humbug carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Wonderful Worcester clay !!
First potatoes
« on: April 24, 2014, 13:06:02 »
Picked our first potatoes today :icon_cheers: Swift , Rocket and Red Duke of York, from pots in the greenhouse. Was going to take a picture, but Chef ran off with them. :sad10: :sad10: :sad10:
Not a bad crop , the pots worked much better than those bag things you can buy.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: First potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 14:22:33 »
Wow...well done you! :icon_cheers:
I have some potato 'sprouts' pptted up in GH and those are growing really fast, they should yield much quicker than seed ones in ground.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 18:07:01 »
Goodlife, what do you mean by  potato sprouts? I have sometimes wondered if I could plant any chitted sprouts that have fallen off a seed potato - is that what you mean, and why do they yield more quickly?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 18:56:53 »
Goodlife, what do you mean by  potato sprouts? I have sometimes wondered if I could plant any chitted sprouts that have fallen off a seed potato - is that what you mean, and why do they yield more quickly?

If you carefully take the 'sprouts' off from potato's skin..I 'peel' them with sharp knife, barely any skin left intact, if any(sometimes the stronger ones just snap off cleanly with fingers)...you can often see start of roots, nodules, already on them. I then pop them individually into 3 inch pots or modules so that only a tip show above the surface...within few days they start growing and leaves opening on the tip...those soon fill the available space in pots and can be potted on or transplanted into buckets..or where ever you want to grow them.
They yield that bit quicker because those little plants get into flying start..outdoors the seed potatoes have to grow through soil first and that is slowed down by cooler growing conditions. These 'sprouts' are out on surface almost immediately once you pot them up...kept in GH where is much warmer..you'll be rushing to keep them happy and potted on. I grow number of these in buckets which are easy to move outdoors later on when the risk of frost has passed..by then they already have good size tops..outdoor ones have barely broken the soil surface.
I would have started chitting some of my own grown much earlier or as soon as the spuds start sprouting...but didn't quite get around doing it in time..and few varieties got bit too leggy.. those that did go leggy, had 1 1/2-2 inch long sprouts . The spuds were still firm and in otherwise good condition...so I decided to eat them and save some sprouts for growing.. :icon_cheers:
I've heard that it is common (or used to be) in USA to grow potatoes from 'slips' (what they are called there)...and I once chatted with somebody from there who said that "our way planting seed potatoes is waste of good food"...

So yes...you can grow them from those little 'fallen off sprouts'  :icon_cheers:
I'll take photo tomorrow and show how I've done them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 19:37:40 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 19:34:01 »
I decided there was still enough light in GH for a photo..so no waiting until tomorrow :happy7:
Here we are...on top you can see the sprout, all those plants looked just same when they were popped into compost last Sunday..they've made quite a lot of growth in about 6 days :icon_cheers:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 19:49:32 »
Thanks for that info and pics, Goodlife, I didn't realise you could do that, I'll give it a try next year. I put some seed potatoes in buckets in the greenhouse, got some good top growth on but nowhere near as advanced as the OP's, well done!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal