Author Topic: Rats in the Garden  (Read 2317 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Rats in the Garden
« on: April 23, 2014, 18:49:10 »
I have a mediun sized suburban garden, which i like to think i keep pretty tidy although i have made it wildlife friendly so its not immaculate. Until recently we have not had any trouble with rodents, baring the odd mouse sighting. Recently however we have become aware of rats visiting the garden, becoming increasingly bold in their movements. Nothing much has changed in our own activites that would encourage them. We feed the birds as we have always done. The only change is that there are less cats around the neighbourhood than there used to be.

The oly explanation as to the sudden appearance is that a neglected garden nearby has recently been tidied up. I am guessing they were once happy living in that garden but have now been disturbed, coming into our garden to find food (bird food mainly). A neighbours shed is also a potential 'origin' point, one has been seen disapearing under the fence toward it. Blocking holes in the boundary and changing bird feeding habits has had no effect. have contacted local council and awating a response.

The things give me the creeps. Put off enjoying my garden at present.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Rats in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 19:40:16 »
Remember we "enjoyed "a milder than usual winter enabling more survivors and the enhanced breeding  that warmth ensures. Other reports of larger than usual fox cub litters, and the suburbs readily available food supplies from human discards , are bringing forward ever more "vermin" to spread disease and threaten the human residents.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:14 »
I've had the same twice in recent years, it sometimes signals a problem with the drains.

Rat poison boxes is what you need, and to stop feeding the birds for a while so they eat the bait.  You do get them but it takes a few weeks.

Rats, ugh.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:18 »
Rats are simply always there ... after a while of living in a more rural setting I've just accepted it.

The first thing to make sure is that they definitely don't enter the house ... if they get close enough they will definitely try in the winter by climbing up drainpipes and getting under the eaves.

Then try to keep them out of sheds etc. by making sure there is nothing that they will want to eat available to them inside - glass jars for all seeds, dry foodstuffs etc - and keep potatoes/bulbs/onions/garlic etc. in a more protected place inside the house.

Even without the temptation of food - they will probably be interested in sheds and storage areas for the protection they offer from the weather ... and here tidiness is the key.  They love places with lots of cover and so I've found that every time I leave a load of junk up against my sheds then they tend to move in and even nest under the shed.  If they feel exposed by a bit of spring cleaning they will probably just move somewhere else.

I've always found that these techniques push the rats out towards the boundaries of my garden where I don't really mind them living - I don't want to resort to poisoning because it can enter the food chain ... I'd only go down that route if they actually got in the house.

I've sat and watched them sometimes and they're actually very pretty and intelligent animals ... if they didn't make such a mess and risk contaminating our food stores I'd probably be delighted to have them in the garden!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:05 »
I agree, they are beautiful and we would love them if they didn't spread nasty diseases.
If they don't come near your house, then try not to worry. Cats and dogs also spread diseases in their faeces but we have to accept that risk. Next door's cats have pooed all over my garden at various times and I have small children - so it's not ideal. But we just know cats are 'allowed' so we accept it.

Well, fingers crossed you can discourage them and they will settle down somewhere which suits you both, so you won't have to resort to poison!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 14:02:21 »
I welcome the foxes since they eat rats! They're always about, and controlling them is a constant problem round the allotments. If they're left to breed unmolested, I've known them do real damage. As long as they're not a nuisance, though, we just have to live with them.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 17:10:34 »
Had to get a pest man in to set traps for them. Some to catch, others to provide poisoned bait to take back to a nest.Funny thing is though none have been sighted since the pest man came to assessthe problem. It's as if they knew something was up and did a disappearing act. Have even started feeding the birds again and this hasn't brought them back. Strange. Maybe a panic over little.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 20:24:21 »
Get rid of the dam things, posion blocks on their run, covered over to prevent anything else eating it. Also get yourself a cheap air rifle and have a pop.

Digmore.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal