Author Topic: Ice Cream Anyone?  (Read 1981 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
Ice Cream Anyone?
« on: April 20, 2014, 21:03:54 »
After inheriting strawberries and raspberries on Plot No.2 and thinking ahead to those warm, balmy (ahem) days of summer, what to do with said berries became the subject of much brain bashing.  I like jam but not all the time.

Son came up with the solution - ice cream.

So, being bitten by the ice cream bug early, I dug out my ice cream maker - a cheap thing I bought about 8 years ago but only used once.  Plugged it in, turned it on and it made a grinding noise and stopped.  Oh well.  It wasn't a very good one in the first place.

Now the proud owner of a new Kenwood Gelato M200.  Tried it for the first time tonight and made mint chocolate chip ice cream.  None of your chemical rubbish here and not for anyone on a diet.  Lucky for us, both son and myself are very slim built so never have to worry about weight.

It's quite a small machine but probably a good size for just the two of us.

I can see this little machine is going to be used a lot.  I particularly like sorbets when it's hot and a nice lemon recipe came with the instruction book.

Now...where did I put the coolbox...?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Ice Cream Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:39:09 »
I make ice cream a few times a year - nothing beats a true home made vanilla ice cream but I do use up raspberries etc to make some lovely fruit based ones as well!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:10 »
Oh now you mentioned the magic word...'gelatto'.... :icescream: :tongue1:
Best EVER ice cream I eaten was in Sicily....proper old fashioned ice cream shop...loooooads of different flavours and all made of proper fresh ingredients..we visited the shop everyday during the stay so we could 'sample' each and every flavour.. :icon_cheers: and they made the waffles in shop too....

Memories....... :drunken_smilie:

Hmm..maybe I should start looking a new gadget too... :toothy10:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:36:12 »
I have the Ice cream maker add on for the Kenwood Chef - you have to remember to get it in the freezer a day before you want to make your ice cream but well worth it!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 14:22:28 »
I have the Ice cream maker add on for the Kenwood Chef - you have to remember to get it in the freezer a day before you want to make your ice cream but well worth it!

I've got a Kenwood Chef 901.  I think the attachment for it is about £40 - £50.  Mine's the older model and most I've seen are for the newer models.  They do sometimes pop up on eBay so I might keep my eyes open for one on there.  Could have two batches of different flavours making at the same time.  Good job I've got a large freezer.  Intend to fill it up with veg and nice things this year  :toothy10:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal