Author Topic: Rhubarb & custard curd????  (Read 5092 times)

Alipip

• Not So New ...
Rhubarb & custard curd????
« on: April 20, 2014, 18:53:33 »
Does anyone know of a recipe for rhubarb and custard curd? It was made on the big allotment challenge, and looked lovely but can't find a recipe anywhere. Can find for rhubarb on its own, but not with custard. Thanks.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Rhubarb & custard curd????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:07:36 »
I have a feeling as a custard and curd are very much the same thing that maybe it was just a custard mixed in with the curd after making them separately .

The only other thing to look for maybe is a rhubarb fool .
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Alipip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 14:16:10 »
A friend said the same about using normal custard, so may give that a try. Thanks.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 16:12:48 »
I think what they made was Rhubarb curd and called it rhubarb and custard curd. The custard part came from the addition of eggs  to make it a curd. You would do this when making a proper custard. ( If you were making jam it would be fruit, sugar, water etc but no eggs).  I've never made rhubarb curd but will give it a go when I've got enough rhubarb. I regularly make lemon curd and I'll make  the rhubarb curd in the same way  in a bowl over hot water to cook the eggs slowly so that they thicken the curd without scrambling it. I'll probably add a bit of stem ginger because we love rhubarb and ginger together.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 16:53:24 »
How about adding vanilla to the Rhubarb curd to help with the custard taste?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 22:47:28 »
On the program at least one of the jars had distinct layers in it, so the rhubarb and custard parts were clearly seperate. Will give it a go this week if the weather is wet enough, but otherwise I'll be on the plot.
The blueberry blackcurrant and purple basil curd also caught my attention, mostly because I love the purple basil.

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 23:19:58 »
I just made standard rhubarb and custard tonight was yummy

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:35:28 »
I must be mistaken if you saw definite layers in the rhubarb and custard curd Winecap. Must be a layer of rhubarb curd and then a layer of custard .

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:17 »
I must be mistaken if you saw definite layers in the rhubarb and custard curd Winecap. Must be a layer of rhubarb curd and then a layer of custard .
There was two teams that made R&C curd...one had more of layers showing through the jar.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:51 »
The recipe for the blueberry, blackcurrant and basil curd is on the BBC Food website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blueberry_and_basil_curd_56487  Unfortunately there's nothing for the one with coriander to boost the flavour of blueberries although I prefer those fresh or maybe in a cake so it's not a problem.

OH and Possum (19) watched this programme with me and Possum asked to try curd as she's never had it.   Have to admit I haven't eaten lemon curd for about 30 years and have certainly never made it but I do see recipes that use it in cakes so yesterday I made a batch and it smells yummy.

Don't think I'll be trying rhubarb and custard though.  I like it in cakes, crumbles, cobblers and chutney and still use the recipe Emma Jane posted on here a few years ago.  Whatever happened to Emma Jane?  I hope she's well and still gardening.  Think of her every time I make the chutney.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:59:32 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal