Author Topic: First Chilis!!  (Read 3184 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
First Chilis!!
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:10:34 »
My Thai Bird's Eye chili has started it first flush of flowers and fruit. 
A really easy plant to grow and happy to sit on the windowsill all summer for a constant supply of fresh hot chilis!!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: First Chilis!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:16:22 »
Wow! Did you grow that? When did you start?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 15:09:38 »
Yes I started from seed in Feb - probably a bit early but we have had some lovely sunny weather.  I normally do two sowings - one early for the long season ones like nagas and one later for varieties like the Bird's eye chilis but this year I put them all on 2nd week of Feb I think.  Been lucky with the sunny weather and in my experience they don't tend to get too leggy like toms do.

Mind you I still have loads of last years chilies to eat yet - frozen, dried and a massive bottle of hot sauce!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:57 »
Little beauties  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:43 »
That is incredible progress!  Mine that were sown only a little later are not even flowering yet.  You must have taken a great deal of good care with them.  The good weather alone would not have been the main factor for this success.

Strangely, I harvested a chili yesterday.  Because of the mild winter, the Rocoto peppers in the greenhouse survived over winter and one of the fruits that set late last year is now fully ripe.  There is new leaf growth on the plants but no new flowers yet.  The 'Peppadew' Rocotos (seeds from Jeannine's magic parcel) produced no fruit last year, but also survived winter (dug up and placed in the conservatory).  Goodlife reminded me that the rocoto peppers can withstand a little bit of frost as they hail from high altitude.  None of the other peppers survived.

Getting peppers to live over winter is one thing, but getting new ones this early is a fabulous achievement and you can be very proud.  Did you place them under lights and in warmth?  What did you use for feeding? 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:41:55 »
Thanks Galina - I wish I could say that I have done something fantastic but all I have done is to sow the seed and pot them on.  They have just been on the windowsill (west facing) with a bit of foil backing at the start since Feb.  They have had one feed with Chili Focus food and that is all. 

This is why I think they are a good plant to grow - my other varieties aren't in flower (well the medusa has just started).  They come recommended as a windowsill plant and I can see why.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:18 »
Gosh!..indeed...what a happy plants...have they had some 'speed'? :icon_cheers:
I like chilli focus too and have had VERY productive plants with it  :icon_thumright:
My plants was started in February too..and they are NO WHERE near to flower yet! For some reason I had some germination issues, and some seeds took nearly a month to come through  :BangHead:
 I just re-potted all chillies and peppers yesterday and they won't be ready for GH for another couple of weeks yet...at least! Now they are sitting tight under lights , but they are looking healthy  :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal