Author Topic: Planting Plum Tree  (Read 3718 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Planting Plum Tree
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:36:57 »
During the gales earlier this year my 40 year old Victoria plum tree came a cropper and totally uprooted and fell down, Such a shame as it had been a beautiful producer of lovely plums.  We have now a gap and wondered whether I can plant another plum tree in the same place? Or would it be better to plant another type of fruit or not plant there at all? Any advice would be helpful.
Anne

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Planting Plum Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:58:46 »
You could plant another plum or something else...but it will take some ground preparation first.
From the 'gap' I gather there is more of fruit trees nearby?
Your old tree has used up lot of goodness from the ground and nearby neighbours will give competition too, so you need to dig in plenty of 'good stuff' first to give any new comer a fair chance...even adding some more soil from else where. I would also use some those 'fungi granules' (sorry..I've just woke up and brain is still mush...can't think the proper name for them...rootgrow or something) to get the tree roots establish that little bit better.
Oh..just noticed you said..40 yrs old tree...hmm...could you have 'gap' year this summer..plant something totally different there for this year(flowers/veg?)...continue making the ground more 'lush' again and get back planning what to plant there later on the year.
It will give you chance to see how the neighbouring trees will react for change of space.

Good morning.. :drunken_smilie:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:12:30 »
Thanks for that Goodlife. Mostly apples trees surrounding the gap with plum trees next door. I'll grow some flowers there this year and decide what to do for next. I'm no expert so always glad for some guidance.
Anne

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:53 »
What a shame to lose your tree!
Were you wondering about diseases with planting in same place? I don't know, but I'm guessing as they stay in the same place for decades anyway, that wouldn't be an issue.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 14:34:04 »
Yes , it was the disease issue I was thinking about. I didn't know whether it applied to trees as it does with some other plants. It was a bit of a blow to lose the tree and we couldn't see any way of saving it once the roots were out of the ground.
Anne

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 15:52:52 »
Yes , it was the disease issue I was thinking about. I didn't know whether it applied to trees as it does with some other plants. It was a bit of a blow to lose the tree and we couldn't see any way of saving it once the roots were out of the ground.
Anne

Well..since it was gales that brought the tree down..disease should not be issue..and as far replacing with same species again, well...my damson self seed itself all over the place..and even now I have one, already flowering size next to its 'mother'. Their toes must be touching each other underground and they are very happy together  :toothy10:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 22:08:41 »
Sounds as though I've nothing to be concerned about.  As I shall miss the plums I'll plant another one to replace it and hope it lasts as long as the last one!
Anne

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:57 »
There is a thing called replant disease which can effect plums. It results in slow growth and poor root development for the first few years. Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_replant_disease

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 14:16:23 »
There is a thing called replant disease which can effect plums. It results in slow growth and poor root development for the first few years. Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_replant_disease

Thank you Ian for the link...interesting read :icon_thumright:
This line sounds good news tough and might apply to YL situation..(copied from the link above)
Code: [Select]
trees were healthy when removed, it is unlikely that replant disease would be a problem as pathogen levels may never have been high. The malady is worse where trees have died in situ—pathogens are likely to have contributed to the death and therefore be at a higher level in the soil.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:44 »
Thanks for extra info Ian.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal