Author Topic: letters not being shown  (Read 3694 times)

TAB

• Not So New ...
letters not being shown
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:21 »
Hi. I was wondering if any one could help. We have been told that we can not use are rotervaters or any machinery after a serten time in the week and at the weekend. As they say that there has been complaints. We have asked if we could see the letters with out the address on and the comity are saying they don't have to show us any thing. Is this true. Thank you

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: letters not being shown
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:47:58 »
Maybe one of the others has a more official answer.
But is the site surrounded by houses? If so then I would expect that it would be a courtesy not to use noisy machines after a certain time. At a whim I would say that after about 8pm in the evening or before 8 am in the morning, maybe going to 9 or 10 on the weekend when people may justifiably want a quiet lie-in!
What times were people using noisy machines?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:57 »
Umm..it is not quite 'show letters or not'...black and white issue..
Is this rule they are enforcing from the committee?...is in your official rules? Are you council or privately own site.
If you have such a rule that restrict the use of machinery/noise..for committee to enforce it have to be in 'rules' as they are not able to set the rules..it is down to members who vote rules or council that set them. Committee's job is to see rules that are set by members/council are adhered to..they are not the law themselves.
Saying that....committee can say 'as a recommendation' or 'as a good practice' , after all what might not be late for you and your purposes, might be nuisance for neighbourhood. What might not be loud for you might become louder for some people living nearby for how the sound behave when it hits buildings etc.
It is not so much about should they show the letters or not...but, if there is official restrictions in place or not. If there indeed has been complaints...it is down to committee to deal with the situation within limits that are set for them. Often it is better that self run sites deal with issues rather than getting council involved as the restrictions can be tougher.
Members are allowed to see 'minutes' for any official meetings but not necessary correspondence, that comes down who/how the letters are addressed to.
For not knowing the full 'story' in your situation...but relating to what goes on in ours...short answer from me would be NO..we would not show letters to members, but instead we would let members know that we have received complaits, as committee we would then approach those involved to advise and ask some consideration to find 'neutral' ground with the issue...if this doesn't work and there is no definite 'rule'..then it would be brought up in next AGM and rule is then set/or not in motion. Because we are association where we own our land and rule ourselves (council doesn't have saying)..our committee has 'the final saying' if it comes to 'nitty gritty' situation..and all members taking on the plot have to sign to agree with it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:59:47 by goodlife »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 13:10:10 »
Gardening anywhere should include considerations of courtesy towards neighbours such as respecting boundaries, keepng hedges to a reasonable height, not growing invasive plants, keeping noise to a minimum and to social hours and so on.

Where I live, we are not allowed to use noisy machines such as lawnmowers or strimmers or rotavators before 8am, after 8pm and, on Sundays, after midday.   This includes DIY machinery too.   Some more urban areas allow no noisy machines at all on Sundays.   

Your allotment committee should have rules available for you to see and, if complaints have been made, should bring them to the notice of all the allotment holders and make sure any new rules are made known to all, and respected by all.

Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 18:48:39 »
A committee is there to represent members.  I do not understand why they should think they are the only ones who are able to be privy to letters.  How arrogant.

But I agree the noise of rotavotors/strimmers/mowers can be very annoying.  And I do hate ice cream vans.   

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 19:38:57 »
A committee is there to represent members.  I do not understand why they should think they are the only ones who are able to be privy to letters.  How arrogant.

But I agree the noise of rotavotors/strimmers/mowers can be very annoying.  And I do hate ice cream vans.   

Digeroo...I can only relate to our site and situations..

But when ever there has been complaints made...it often can result aggravation and feelings can be quite close to surface. I would not like to any member or ours taking the 'sorting out the situation' into their own hands and going knocking anybody's door if they should find out who has been writing letters. It is good for everybody's sake having committee as 'buffer zone' and trying to find the 'golden compromise'.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:18 »
We have letters and emails complaining about various things and sometimes they have specifically requested that they just wanted to raise the issue and have asked for it not be shown to everyone - so it can be a tricky situation for a  committee.  However if it isn't in the rules or it isn't part of the by laws or tenancy agreement then it is just wishful thinking.

Courtesy at all times applies of course!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 18:34:07 »
Hi. I was wondering if any one could help. We have been told that we can not use are rotervaters or any machinery after a serten time in the week and at the weekend. As they say that there has been complaints. We have asked if we could see the letters with out the address on and the comity are saying they don't have to show us any thing. Is this true. Thank you

Sorry but I'm on your committee side..

A committee is set up to run the site... they do not have to "show letters" etc. to their members unless I suppose its a life and death situation...

The committee is elected by the people for the people so any letters of complaint etc. are dealt with "in house" and the members notified if required..

If the committee has to show all letters etc then sorry its not being run efficiently.

Members wanting to see letters of complaints about using rotavators at un-social hours is definitely out of the question - I'd laugh at the request!... it's common sense that they should not be used at certain times so to ask to see letters about this is ridiculous... It's like asking the PM to see the letter from Obama about what weapons he was going to send to the Atlantic Ocean to kill the jelly fish..   :toothy10: :toothy10: 

Hope I'm not sounding too harsh but its my views and I have been on plenty committee's in my time - and still am.

(Mmmm... note to self - make a sign board about Rotavators etc.  for our site as I do signs and am the site maintenance and letting member!!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 18:36:22 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 18:39:15 »

If the committee is allowed to show letters then what's the point of having a committee... you may as well have every member as the committee... then see how many turn up for meetings and work parties etc.. not many!! 

They are elected to run the group and make the right decisions as a committee...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal