Author Topic: New seedless sweet pepper Angello  (Read 1508 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
New seedless sweet pepper Angello
« on: April 17, 2014, 23:14:56 »
After Googling this pepper - which I bought for 69p (100g) at Lidl today - I found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2070214/Cooks-rejoice-worlds-seedless-pepper-goes-sale.html

It seems that Lidl has pipped M & S to the post - and for less than half the price!

It really is sweet, crunchy and delicious. I hope it will soon be available commercially - even if we won't be able to save our own seeds  :sad1:

Tricia

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: New seedless sweet pepper Angello
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:33 »
Well I for one will not be going anywhere near this new innovation.

Making a fruiting body produce no seeds at all is about as un-natural as it gets.  I can maybe understand it with grapes as you pop them in your mouth whole - but de-seeding peppers takes next to no time at all and even if a few seeds end up in your dish then it's no big deal and nobody really notices.

The sinister nature of the way the major seed manufacturers are working at present where the majority of things sold is seedless or F1 where the seed is not viable is massively concerning.  Complicity in buying their products means we are allowing them to get themselves in a position where only they can sell us seeds and we can no longer save our own.  Given that saving your own seeds means that with a little extra effort we can almost reduce our seed bills to zero I think that the allotment movement should be against seedless and F1 products.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal