Author Topic: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00  (Read 16703 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 15:42:00 »
Absolutely Borlotti ... that's what I was hoping it might be. 

Frankly the pretentious posturing about the perfect radish, absurd jams and flower arranging without a simple mention of what was done in order to grow the blooming stuff sent me in to a complete rage which I haven't really recovered from.  It has no right putting the word allotment in the title.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 15:47:28 »
I caught bits of the program yesterday and thought what a load of twaddle. But I watched it properly today and as long as I'm not comparing it to what I imagine most allotments/garden plotters are about - enjoying and producing a worthwhile crop of fruit and vegetables to be eaten at home, with the surplus being given, swapped or preserved for use in the year. Flowers are great too, but most folk enjoy them for what they are not give them a florist makeover. Where's the making use of what comes their way, turning turning items into something useful in the garden or making mounds of compost and liquid fertilisers.

That and a bit more aside, it was quite enjoyable to watch, although the title is a misleading it should be more 'growing to show' or something. There seemed to be a good mix of people with different skills. If the programme engages and encourages viewers to get the veggie growing bug then fantastic. But it is not an Allotment Challenge.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 17:48:17 »
Mildly entertaining in a "why would they?" sort of way but not at all instructive.   

The Great British Bake Off and Sewing Bee do at least explain why things are done a certain way and why certain ingrédients or fabrics are used for different purposes.  Here there was no info on growing the perfect radish or sweet pea and why would anyone who isn't already a member of a flower arranging group want to do anything more complicated than bung a lovely bunch of sweet peas in a simple vase or jug?   

Didn't see the point of the jam and curd section either, especially without giving recipes.   I do make loads of rhubarb chutney and spiced blackcurrant jelly as we have so much of those and they need cooking anyway but our strawberries and raspberries and blueberries are eaten fresh and never make it near the preserving pan. 

I'm afraid that, for me, this programme is a wasted opportunity and doesn't express the fun or satisfaction of growing one's own fruit and veg nor pass on useful tips and knowledge.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 21:35:21 »
Yohooo!...BBC's programs researchers...  :wave: Are you reading this thread?

Please give us PROPER allotment program...and if you read through all the post here..you will get plenty of suggestions how to put the program together :icon_thumleft: :toothy5:

You could always make series with us....Gazza will help you... :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 22:13:31 »
I was really really disappointed with last night’s program...this isn't real allotment growing, it was more about growing show veg....I mean who spends that much time on a row of radish!  Real growing is about veg that comes in all shapes and sizes and using it to create wonderful jams, chutneys, pickles and meals.

They were talking about this program on our local BBC radio station yesterday morning, saying that the program will encourage more people to take on allotments....I'm sorry but I think the BBC are wrong... people will be scared to give it a go now as they think they have to create perfect veg, flowers, jams etc. or they will be criticized heavily.

I also got bored after 10 mins of the show as I am really not interested in perfect sized radishes. What about taste? what about mentioning how best to grow different veg or how to encourage beneficial insects to yout plot?....I'm sorry BBC...I think you could have done a lot better with this program!

(rant over now)

By the way, you can leave comments on their facebook page about the program:  https://www.facebook.com/bigallotmentchallenge
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 22:16:19 by kippers garden »
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 23:31:59 »
Theres a lot of spare plots at Pickards Field in Swindon where S.A.L.G.A have their shop.  Would like to be there when the flush of nuwbe's come looking.
If they think theres going to be weed free plots with greenhouses there going to be in for a big dissappointment.   I feel it gives totaly the wrong impression.  No mention of different soil types/weeds/bugs and slugs/birds and snails.
 If they want to challenge then provide them all with the same seed and see how well they do, that way its about ability.  Same with the jam making ectra, all
to work to the same recipes like we do for the yearly shows.  I must admit I was very dissappointed but not surprised by the content.
Wishing you all a Happy Easter. :sunny: :wave:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 13:25:31 »
Sometimes I am a bit disappointed not to get some of these shows, as it's fun to compare opinions. Sounds like a bit of guff though from what you all say !
@Jayb, I do agree, about turning trash into treasure in the garden. I must admit that I now cannot pass a pile of rubbish (or when the buildings bring the 'large items' out for collection, without having a look to see if there are interesting stakes or planks or containers etc!!! My husband thinks I am such a grot! 
Nothing is wasted on my plot, grassy bits get used for mulch, tougher bits get chucked in the compost with all the kitchen waste, veg leaves etc, old newspaper is used to wrap scraps before going in compost, old tiles, rocks, bits of woods, any type of frame etc will be used to hold up plants, weigh down fleece and all that. That's the real allotment spirit!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:11 »
I watched this with amazement! the perfect allotments no weeding! no brambles! stones! how wonderful in the land of make beleave, Now we will behaving a rush forloads of dreamers to get a Lotty  and some folk might think it's like this misleading load of c--p! it's a insult to hard working allotment holder's up and down the country! and who dresses up to do the digging weeding ? had my rant  :BangHead: 

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 13:15:01 »
I watched it and if it encourages more people to grow, then fair enough -
BUT IT'S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH ALLOTMENTS!

They could have called it 'Grow to Show' or something similar.

My daughter has often told me that a 'fly on the wall' type of documentary
filmed on our site would make good viewing.   We've got all the
characters you could possibly need to make it interesting.  They could
feature the 'Moaners' one week, the 'Good Old Days When Women Were Not
On The Committee' ones the next.  We could show how it is possible to
have a toilet door without a lock and key, and how to dry hands without
using an electric hand-dryer.  :tongue3:

We have also got the Salt of the Earth plot holders too.  Like the man who
dug someone's plot for a charge and gave me all the money for the charity
I am supporting. Like Ken who comes every day to feed the cats, whatever
the weather. Like Bill who gives up his time to help others fit gutters to their
sheds so they can save rainwater. 

Our site is a microcosm of society.  We have around 130 plot holders from about 13
different countries and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 21:18:50 »
Just wondering.. Does anybody here show their veg etc? One of the nearby allotment sites still has an anual  show and I imagine this program was right up their street. Can't help thinking its something from yesteryear, but pehaps a yesteryear when allotments were at their zenith.
For me there were three highlights in the program.
1. Rhubarb and custard curd as mentioned by others and now with a thread of its own I see.
2. Adding coriander to blueberry jam to enhance the flavour. Definitely worth a punt as its tasteless pap on its own.
3. Another jam concoction which I thought I should try but have now forgotten. Looks like I may have to watch it over again!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 08:46:21 »
A lady on another site was interviewed for this but felt it wasn't for her. I visit per week & perhaps an overnight stay, payed for by the BBC, well us really. They had people to tend the plots for them. Now that's a surprise isn't it. OH moaned from start to finish.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:34 »
GJ!!!! :wave: :toothy10: :love5: :icon_thumright:

So it was just as I suspected...they have somebody else to tend to their garden...actually they haven't really grown their own veg at all. Anybody can set the plot but it is the TLC that makes the crop.
Then again....having a 'holiday' day once a week doesn't sound bad deal at all....hmmmm...I wonder if they would allow dogs and chickens for that over night stay too.. :drunken_smilie:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 07:07:27 »
I watched it last week.  Better than some sex and violence.

The cordials and jams do inspire me to think more creatively about the use I could make of my rhubarb and other crops.   I think I would like a programme about jams, jellies and cordials and scrap the rest.   Pity they did not include stews and soups.

But like everyone else I am very disappointed by the lack of growing information.    While the great british bake off managed more drama when someone drops or burns something.   

The flower arranging guy does get up my nose.   There was more gardening advice in the murder mystery Rosemary and Thyme.     

Nice to find out how it really works.  I would have liked them to have been made clearer.   Though there was a bit in last week about the need for the plotholders to keep things watered while they were showing a sprinkler system in the background.    Fine if the BBC are paying the water bill.  It is very disappointing that the growing is done by anonymous professionals.   The plots look great - lets see how they are doing it.

Yes BBC you have missed an opportunity.   Wake up and smell the manure.

A toilet with no lock sounds great.  Certainly beats no toilet at all. 

I think there needs to be a remake of all muck and magic, we could not get Channel 4 at the time it was one of C4 top programmes.   

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 22:34:23 »
I watched it last week.  Better than some sex

I have to say that I didn't think it was!

:toothy10:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 18:01:21 »
All the recipes are here, if anyone's interested:

=p01wjhcx]http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=p01wjhcx

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 18:09:49 »
Sorry, that link didn't work and when I looked again, although it says "see all the recipes2, there are only eight from the whole series, just the winning ones I think!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 19:26:51 »
Yes seems to be the winning ones, no rhubarb and custard curd!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/p01wjhcx
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 20:47:36 »
Don't worry there'll soon be a book to go with the series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 21:12:32 »
It's already in the shops Taurus.

CDave

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 06:20:20 »
I think its fun. Not much of a challenge but certainly better than some of the other stuff on TV that we have to put up with.

A load of folk at work that don't have allotments think its good viewing - and that's who the show is aimed at - its viewing figures that determine the success or otherwise of TV programmes. Interestingly there's loads of folk at our allotment site that think its rubbish..................... but they still watch it every week !!!!!!!!!!

Search for allotments on You-tube if you want some good alternative viewing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal