Author Topic: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00  (Read 16888 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:56 »
Wow? after asking for contestants a few weeks ago they have already managed to film it. :icon_cheers:

It is on Tonight.  Stand by your waiting lists.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:25 »
This was filmed last year...
Yesterday they had Fern Cotton in One Show and she said they started filming it last year from March onwards....so sounds like when they were asking for contestants, they are already planning 'round 2'. 
Hmm...for some reason I don't feel any 'pull' to watch it.... :dontknow:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:26 »
If they are planning year 2 then year 1 will have been passed as ok. 

Should be dark by 20.00

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:08 »
Had a gander at it on the BBC's website.

Seems it's all about Jam making and flower arranging.

But I'll still watch it tonight if I'm back from the plot in time.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:02 »
I caught a bit off it last night. It should help in shortening the waiting lists for allotments. They seemed to have dragged out some anally retentive judges and brown bread and sandal contestants. It looked Fern Britton (who ate all the pies). Fern Cotton? I don't think so.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:17:35 »
It was originally called, "Grow, Make, Eat", which I suspect gives a better idea of what the programme is about.  See here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-18/bake-off-meets-ground-force-bbc2-commissions-grow-make-eat-the-great-allotment-challenge

I particularly liked the typo in the Radio Times article where they refer to "sewing the seeds".  It all sounds a bit chichi to me, but then my idea of fun allotmenteering is getting amongst the brambles with a brushcutter, not delicately arranging posies on a nice tablecloth!

But we'll give it a go.  It might be a very entertaining and even possibly an informative programme.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 13:28:36 »
even possibly an informative programme

..now that might be wishful thinking.
On the 'adverts' one of the judges were cutting into radish...."this is bit woody"....well...if they can't pick a radish at the right stage for a competition... :BangHead:...the contestants would be better keeping off...
I just might have a look how 'bad' the program is going to be...so I can grumble about it tomorrow.. :icon_cheers: :toothy10:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 18:34:09 »
Looking forward to the discussion on here after tonight's first episode!  :toothy10:

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 20:14:39 »
im glad i just eat my radish
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 20:53:43 »
Rhubarb and custard curd.......making my mouth water......will be searching for recipes after this.
Jackie

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 21:05:12 »
Rhubarb and custard curd.......making my mouth water......will be searching for recipes after this.

My thoughts exactly- anyone got a recipe?

I actually enjoyed it, although I hope they judge some of the veg on taste rather than just looks in future episodes! My money's on Alex and Ed to win!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 21:42:47 »
Just watched it. It was passable as there's not much I like on TV on Tuesday, now that Sewing Bee has finish ed.

I would hate to be judged on my allotment stuff, or my cooking , or my floral skills.

My fruit and veg is sometimes a success and sometimes not. Just use what is good and compost the rest.

My jams etc. is mostly good but sometimes runnier than others. I just use it to pour over ice cream or in milkshakes. If its a bit overcooked I  add a bit to curries (waste not want not!!!)

My flowers, I just stick in a vase.

No point in being too anal about life, is there? :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 21:47:51 »
Ummm...yes...lots of thoughts and opinions in my head...

I supposed it was ok program for what it was...but it didn't have much to do with allotments as such..more of cookery-flower arranging with a bit of 'greenery' thrown with it.

I would love to know did they have to look after the plots and plants in GH through out the season without any help from anybody else...did they have to travel, where ever they live, just to do watering etc.?? I have to go my plots everyday during growing season..!!!
In opening 'speech' it was mentioned...."..group of Britain's best allotmenteers..."  ....who decided that?

The highlight of the first episode was THAT rhubarb and custard curd....MMMMMMM....
If I don't have anything better to do...I might watch it again....but I hope they show more the actual sowing and growing too....

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 22:07:32 »
I actually enjoyed it.  I am already looking at rhubarb curd recipes.  I have never made a curd.  Made me want to grow more picking flowers.   

I also want to see more about the growing phase.  If they only started in March they had fabulous rhubarb and how did the manage to pick blackcurrants?   I do not reckon you would get enough for much jam for several years.

One set came from Manchester and another from I think it was Brighton, did they stay there for months.

The plots seem to be heaving with plants.  There must be an army working behind the scenes.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 22:26:58 »
For Digeroo
This was filmed last year...
Yesterday they had Fern Cotton in One Show and she said they started filming it last year from March onwards....so sounds like when they were asking for contestants, they are already planning 'round 2'.
:happy7:
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:15:13 »
I didn't think the format really worked - it seemed a bit forced.  Technically we all know that it is a bit of a con - as has been pointed out above unless the contestants took several months off to go live on site then there must have been huge back up with watering etc esp as last years summer was so hot.

Personally I can't stand show veg and I don't see what it has got to do with what most of us grow for - I grow for food and don't give a d**n if three radishes are the same size or not.  I also don't have much truck with flower growing but that is just me.

I long for a proper allotment show that shows normal allotment people growing fruit and veg through the season without all the usual TV nonsense - just proper information.  There is far better stuff on youtube to be honest.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:07 »
What a load of cobblers,will the reality TV people not just leave things alone,the contestants were so far from the down to earth folk who have dirt under their nails and :ave a cuppa tea love:variety from my own plot,sorry, for me Ferns day time telly persona,though sweet,doesn't fit in with true plot culture,she always looks like she is instructing her own gardener how she wants her hedge trimmed...oooer mrs .....and how long he had to do it......ready steady.......turn over !!!!!!!

Let's face it Betty's midland meetings would be closer to real life,so c,mon girls get growing and well
Have out own version with yours truly doing the video,Ace can provide the Isle of Wight flashers
Humour and we can all chip in with some food on the day .....fun competitions but our stuff gets eaten which after all is what it's all about.....hhhmmm....so who would make a good presenter
Any wanna be ferns out there...?

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:34 »
I was busy, so didn't watch it and from what I have read, I don't want to. Rhubarb belongs in a crumble, or boiled up to clean a burnt saucepan.  A tin of Whittards  rhubarb flavoured white hot chocolate mix turned up in a cupboard here, I did not even open it, straight down the food bank with that.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 14:52:08 »
We just watched it over lunchtime on the iPlayer.  Hmmmm.  I tried very hard to like it, but neither of us was overly impressed.  I know that some allotmenteers grow for shows, but it's a minority interest really.  And plenty of allotment holders grow flowers.  We do too, including sweet peas.  But we don't do elaborate flower arrangements.   And we do preserve fruit, including making some into jam, but most of our excess fruit is given away or put in the freezer.

The whole programme didn't quite seem to be in the spirit of allomenteering, somehow.   Did the radishes taste nice?  We don't know.  Did the sweet peas make a lovely display on the wigwam and smell beautiful?  We don't know.  And did the fresh fruit explode with flavour before being made into jam?  Again, we don't know.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 15:33:07 »
Why not give them an overgrown allotment, like mine was, and dig it, not a prepared bed.  And show real people, not in high heels, but boots.  Must say their produce was good, but didn't show, ants, tomato blight, etc. etc.  Another rubbish programme. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal