Author Topic: Gardening back on the menu  (Read 2265 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Gardening back on the menu
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:28:10 »
Last year was not a good year. After fracturing my pelvis followed by pneumonia and then after a brain scan being told I had at sometime had a stroke (must have been mild one!) there was no gardening done. I have had a guy come in and do any heavy work for me and will continue to do so. Now feeling good to do some gardening. Recently I bought 100 single snowdrops in the green and 50 doubles. This morning I received 50 Aconites in the green which my daughter bought for me. These are all being planted in an area where I planted the snowdrops that Eric kindly sent me 4/5 (?)years ago. I will only be growing tomatoes, runner beans and strawberrys the rest of the garden will consist of shrubs, and all kind of flowering plants. Going to try and do a lot more pots as I find them easier to cope with.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Gardening back on the menu
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:22:08 »
Good see that you're up to doing some gardening again. It looks like you've plenty to be getting on with, and plenty planned.
Happy gardening.  xx
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:22 »
Glad to hear that you are feeling strong enough to think about your garden Lorna. I hope you will continue to improve.

I have to have someone in to do the garden too and don't grow as much as I used to. This year tomatoes and cucumbers in my
mini greenhouse and beans, squashes, sweet corn, tomatoes and some salad greens in the raised beds. I'm waiting for elbow surgery some time this summer, long term chronic golfers elbow - never played golf in my life! - so will have to rely on my friend to keep the veggies watered.

Let's hope we get a summer like last year. Here in the south west it seemed to rain mostly at night!

Keep well!

Tricia  :wave:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 23:15:10 »
It sounds like you have a sensible plan, and as the saying goes, less is sometimes more. I hope you find yourself increasingly strong this year.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 13:52:48 »
Good to hear that! You can resist not even one courgette plant? How tough you are! Hope it goes well.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 21:04:17 »
Glad to hear that all is going well for you Lorna.  Don't overdo it though. 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 21:31:51 »
Many thanks everyone. Have been quite busy doing a little at a time in the garden. Cleaned the strawberry beds, they are looking quite good with some plants in flower. Runner beans and a couple of tomato plants are doing nicely in the greenhouse, but have only started flower seeds off this week. I am off to Scotland tomorrow 6am with young Lorna for a few days. Daughter Alyson is going to pop in and water the beans for me. Happy Easter everyone.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 07:35:12 »
I hope that you have a much happier year Lorna, and get pleasure from your garden. Just enjoy the gardening that you  do :happy7:

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:20 »
Had a wonderful few days in Scotland (never been before) the weather was marvelous. Now back to do some gardening.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 20:36:24 »
Glad you're getting back to your gardening, Lorna. Happy Growing  :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal