Author Topic: Eligibility  (Read 1845 times)

nekhul

Eligibility
« on: April 09, 2014, 19:13:54 »
Hi
I have a keen interest in growing my own frutie and vegs. I have always wanted to have an allotment. I recently located one very near to my home, they have 3 allotments free, asked me to come on a Saturday to look and decide which one I would like. 2 weeks later they say that I haven't been successful in getting the allotment. The secretary will not say anything further about eligibility criteria. Could any one help me, I am feeling so sad......

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 19:58:13 »
That seems very strange I have never heard of that before.

If the secretary had said that they have all been taken then I could see the reason for their reply, but as it stands I can't see why they won't give you a reason.

Dare I ask could there be any form of prejudice e.g colour, nationality, sex?

Other than that I haven't a clue what the reason could be!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 20:10:22 »
That's odd Nekhul.

The only eligibility criterion that I have heard of is that some council allotments are restricted to people who live in the Parish/District. Is the allotment Council owned? How is it run - self managed or by the owner?  If you could get some further details I'm sure we could give you some advice.

Regards

Bluecar

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 21:31:58 »
I really do not understand this.  Surely they must have a reason.   Have they now put you on the waiting list?   I would presume that if you live in the wrong place they would just tell you.

Perhaps you could pursuade a friend to apply and see if they are rejected as well.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 22:04:34 »
Never heard of this before.  However, could it be that say four or five people were next on the list and all were invited to view and unfortunately the first three on the list decided to accept a plot.  This leaves you out in the cold.  I can't see why this could not be explained or why the secretary could not advise you where you stood on the list.

I would suggest writing to the secretary and say that you were under the impression that you were next in line for an allotment.  Say that you are perplexed as to why you did not get one and ask them to explain how you now stand as far as any future allotments become available.  If the answer is not accepted (or forth coming) I suggest you find out who controls the allotments (Council or privately owned) and see if you can find out what is happening there.  You might be able to have a "quiet" talk to another plot holder to see if they can shed any light on it.

As i say my first thought that it is just a simple misunderstanding that has not been explained to you very well.  You haven't said what happened on the day of the visit.  Did no one say anything to you?  How long were you there?  Did you express an interest in any of the plots?

Regards

Bill

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:18:31 »
Can only think that leaving it two Saturdays was too long and others (who were also invited, perhaps a week after you) got there quicker.  Hope another plot comes available very fast.  Why not go there and visit anyway during open hours and make contact to ensure they know about your definitive interest.  This also gives you an opportunity to see if there are uncultivated plots that you could ask about specifically.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 20:26:40 »
Aw.  That's a shame Nekhul especially as no explanation for being turned down was given.

Suggest you get on to your local Council's website and look at where they have allotments vacant.

I did this.  Applied on the Sunday online and the Thursday of that week I had an offer of an allotment which I took.  Put a noted interest in the allotment in front of mine as I noticed no-one seemed to be tending it and I signed for that one just before Christmas.  Now I have two allotments to knock into shape.

I think the Council is the best bet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal