Author Topic: Peas  (Read 3001 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
Peas
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:29 »
With the warm spell we had my peas are getting rather tall, do you think it is too early to plant out just yet? And/Or is it possible to nip the tops out without doing any harm? My opinion is it is too cold, but what do members here think? Taa

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 14:26:59 »
They should be ok...they are better off in the ground than getting pot bound, if the do they never make decent plants/crop after that.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 16:30:58 »
Not sure where you are in the country willsy, but if they are hardened off, they should be fine now in most areas.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 16:58:01 »
With the warm spell we had my peas are getting rather tall, do you think it is too early to plant out just yet? And/Or is it possible to nip the tops out without doing any harm? My opinion is it is too cold, but what do members here think? Taa

Peas can tolerate a bit of frost, they are fine planted out now.  What they struggle with is mice stealing the little bits of seed still attached, so bury those well.  And they break in strong winds.  But cold is not an issue.  Don't nip out the tops.

French beans and runner beans cannot tolerate  a n y  frost, but peas are like broad beans, a slight to moderate frost does not do any harm.  Round seeded ones are a little hardier than wrinkle seeded ones, but all of them tolerate a few degrees of frost.

Good luck with your peas.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 18:29:31 »
They may need netting against pigeons, which love the tender shoots, but they should be fine with the weather.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 23:24:35 »
I decided to put my peas, broad beans, and runner beans into my poly tunnel. Just thought if they dont do well I will start again. Last year I tried cauliflower and cabbage in the poly but they just produced massive leaves and not much else. So this year only growing things we like in the P/tunnel.I have worked hard in there over the last few days making all the beds into one big bed, instead of small beds with same amount of space in between each one.Got to start on the other side now, but it has been too hot in there to work comfortably. Sweet corn did well so more of that to be planted.Going to try melon as well. Its all go go go, lets hope this weather keeps up. Happy planting and growing. :wave: :wave: 

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:12:32 »
The melon will love the conditions, and sweetcorn benefit from the heat, but they are wind pollinated, so you will have to maximise the ventilation at flowering time. However, peas are a cool-weather crop, and are likely to suffer from fungal problems in the hot moist air of a polytunnel. I'd say they would be happier outside, leaving precious space for things like toms and cucumbers under cover.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 23:50:13 »
Thanks for the advice Ian, but my friends who had the allotment b4 me were always successful with growing peas in the polytunnel. Maybe I could transplant them outside later! they are near the door so maybe they will be ok. Its all a learning curb for me growing in a polytunnel. 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:07:09 »
I grow a crop of peas in a poly-tunnel most years and they do very well, but they need to be a fairly early crop. Once temperatures get too high it will affect the peas ability to flower and they will stop. Being by the door will help keep them cool, when we get our summer (?!) and if possible a little shading should help. Shorter peas are stressed less as the temps don't get so hot lower down.

Same goes for Broad Beans, fine for an early crop but heat will slow flowering once temperatures rise.

Some varieties of Runners do really well in a poly-tunnel, one of my favourites is Red Rum, beans aren't very long but they maintain a steady crop throughout, only the highest of temps seem to slow them and they will resume once it becomes a bit cooler. Though they need as much headroom as they can get and their roots kept moist.

French dwarf and climbing beans love growing in a poly-tunnel.

Unless you have sown them in pots or modules I don't think peas will transplant well.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal