Author Topic: What is the best way to get rid of shrub or tree stumps.  (Read 2894 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
I asked OH to dig up a 30 year old ground hugging conifer. it was huge and it had spread about 10 feet from its main trunk. We are now left with a stump that cannot be removed from the ground. I have tried stump killer in the past... The type that you drill holes into the stump and pour the stump killer liquid into the holes without success. Is there something else I can try?

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: What is the best way to get rid of shrub or tree stumps.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 13:53:18 »
They can be machined out professionally but that costs!
I know someone who had the same problem who ended up standing a large plant container on theirs.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 14:42:20 »
Conifer doesn't re-grow from the stump so it doesn't really need 'killing' ...cutting the tree down has already killed it.
But if you mean 'trying rot it down'..well it will take yeeeears...and the 'stump killer' is not right stuff for the purpose.
You options are...
1. making it feature by using it as stand for plant pot/bird feeder/garden ornament or statue..etc..
2. covering it with soil..maybe building some sort of 'raised bed' around it and you can use the area for growing something..flowers?....eventually the stump will rot down and it will happen that little bit faster being in damp conditions.
Though eventually you will get some sort of rotting wood 'eating'  mushrooms popping up..but that is nature..
3. like already mentioned...tree grinders will make it huge mountain of wood shavings...lot of mess, not cheap and doesn't get rid of the roots, just the main stump....so you are still left with future 'rotting' wood' and the mushrooms...(not necessary bad things and some can be quite nice looking too)
4. hire some mad man who is keen with pick axe and spade or if there is room for machinery, digger/tractor of some sort would rip it all up
5. build a some sort of terrace or decking over...sit down and sip G&T... :icon_cheers: :tongue3:

sorry....can't give you that many nice and easy options...

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 20:05:49 »
Depending on its position in respect of house/neighbours/ things of value, you might consider undermining it, allow to dry out and then light a fire.....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 21:50:51 »
Having worked in 2 gardens where honey fungus was a problem I would not leave any tree stump in the ground. When we had the big storm we had 42 trees down where I worked with several unsafe. The owner got professionals in to deal with some and I asked for about  6 feet of trunk to be left so that we had something to  lever on but some they cut to ground level. My wife and I spent many hours digging and winching them out, it was very hard work but I think worth it . There is now almost no cue for honey fungus.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 21:56:06 by laurieuk »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:14:50 »
We also have a pine stump that is in the way so googled around a bit and found lots of comments from different folks who have tried different methods. One using sugar sounds interesting which is mentioned by 2 folks towards the very end of this GardenWeb blog:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg011804592087.html
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 21:53:14 »
We also have a pine stump that is in the way so googled around a bit and found lots of comments from different folks who have tried different methods. One using sugar sounds interesting which is mentioned by 2 folks towards the very end of this GardenWeb blog:
You may find obtaining the other required ingredient difficult these days and if found with the two mixed together, the Police will assume you are a terrorist.! Also you will likely be reglazing the whole locality if you succeed.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:07:52 »
You may find obtaining the other required ingredient difficult these days and if found with the two mixed together, the Police will assume you are a terrorist.! Also you will likely be reglazing the whole locality if you succeed.
Thanks for the warning!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:18 »
We used to use weedkiller and sugar when I was a kid. You can get the chemical on ebay.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 20:42:23 »
We've just had a similar prob with a small fir tree behind our greenhouse,ok the trunk is only about
16 inches across so I decided to cut the base off of a large square plastic tub and the root filled the base about a 1/3 of the way up,I've filled the remainder with soil and a surface layer of compost
And will grow some Herbs in it ,,,,,,,anyway......tween you and me you can't now see the root
And nobody would know it's there.....I did take some pics but have yet to UL them.

Gazza

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:28:11 »
You could inoculate it will an edible fungus which will give you something to eat.   Seems the only one for softwood is Oyster mushroom.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:45 »
Killing the roots would be the first priority, to prevent regrowth although if its a conifer it has probably died already.  Unless you can afford to have the stump removed professionaly (stump grinder) then you only options are to live with it, dig it out yourself or try to bury/hide it it some way. As someone who has dug out a few stumps in their time, i can tell you now you need to be fit and strong to dig out even small or medium sized stumps, and even then some species are more difficult than others (i think some conifers are the worst due to having large taproots). Big stumps of any species - dont attempt it, you will kill yourself!. Digging out will also make a big mess - lots of digging to find all the roots, resulting in a big hole afterwards.

In your position i would try covering or even burying the stump. If you cut it as low to the ground as possible you should be able to cover it with enough soil to plant over it with grass or flowers, without it looking like an obvious 'hump'. Another option would be a raised bed, particularly if you cant cut the stump too close to the ground. If you cant even cover it  and grow things over it then next best would be to make some kind of feature of it, pots, a seat, a statue/ornament. Something to disguise it without drawing attention to it .

Hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal