Author Topic: Help needed urgently please on a gammon question  (Read 5194 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Help needed urgently please on a gammon question
« on: April 02, 2014, 19:40:28 »
My son won a joint of unsmoked gammon at his local pub's meat draw.  My OH said he would put it in water to soak overnight but my son said he didn't think gammon needed to be soaked these days.  I tend to agree with my son as those we have bought from the supermarket don't say anything about soaking these days.  The joint that my son won has no preparation or cooking instructions on it.  It is sealed in polythene with just "Gammon Joint  Use by 3 April" written on it. 

Do you think we should soak it?  We don't want to cook it and then find it is too salty to eat.  Please let me know what you would do with it.  Thanks. 

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Re: Help needed urgently please on a gammon question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 19:50:37 »
I would soak it to be on the safe side - no harm done if it didn't need it though.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 20:01:54 »
Why soak it... in the old days it was to remove the salt from the brine.. Nowdays they just barely cure and sell to eat so no need to soak. Just remove from bag, boil - no just about to boil (just a few bubbles at a time) and then grill a bit when finished with some sugar, port and honey to glaze..

Just found this...
FROM THE NIGELLA TEAM:

If you live in the UK then you probably do not really need to soak your gammon in advance as the cure on most gammon hams is relatively mild. However it is best to read the instructions that come with the gammon and follow the advice from the supplier. If you are still unsure then cut a small piece from the gammon and simmer it for a few minutes in a small pan of water, until cooked. Cool slightly and taste the cooked ham, you can then tell if your ham needs presoaking or not.
If you do want to soak the ham then allow 8 hours for a very small joint and up to 24 hours for a large one. Make sure the gammon is kept cold during the soaking and the water needs to be changed every 6-8 hours (change halfway through for smaller joints).
If you live in the US then uncooked hams tend to be very salty (quite often they are country style hams which are cured with salt for up to 3 months) and we would soak the ham for 48 hours before cooking, changing the water every 8 hours. Uncooked hams are not common in the US but you can buy a fully cooked ham, reheat it following the supplier's instructions and then glaze it for the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 20:04:22 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 20:37:46 »
I do soak gammon now as every time I have bought some and not done it...the taste has been far too salty for me.
Even those that are sold cooked and hot...I can't eat them as they are but use them different way to 'dilute' the saltiness.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 20:53:52 »
I'd do the sample taste test gavin suggests. The brining differs wildly from supplier to supplier.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 22:03:39 »
I have got used to little salt so bacon and ham tend to be too salty for me.   So I tend to soak, but not overnight, perhaps half an hour.  I cook mine in a pressure cooker for about 20 minutes with ginger and cloves and a bit of honey.   

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:26 »
I would definitely soak it. Better to be sure than sorry. You can't do much about it once cooked and its too salty. It's nice roasted as a joint instead of boiling - or partly boiled and then finished off roasted.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:05:15 »
I always bring it to the boil, discard water, refill with water and apple juice then boil for half the cooking time.  Off the heat, spread with mustard and roast for rest of time.  Takes a cheapish cut of meat and makes it really special.

I like salt but most gammons are way too salty for me.
Best laid plans and all that

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 16:12:00 »
Thank you all very much for your replies.  I decided not to soak it overnight so, as a compromise,  I put it in water a couple of hours ago and will take it out later this afternoon for my husband to boil and/or roast it.  I don't want it too salty as I have high blood pressure. 

It is only a smallish joint but I am sure it will taste delicious.  Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal