Author Topic: Giant Pumpkins 2014 - Anyone growing this year?  (Read 20042 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: Giant Pumpkins 2014 - Anyone growing this year?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 18:56:39 »
well done steve always nice to get it in the press and keep the sport going  I have a weigh off coming on the 25th  hoping mine lasts out till then  good luck to all who grow  regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

pumkinlover

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 20:26:42 »
Brilliant stuff Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you do Mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 19:01:29 »
 just a quick update  fugly will be pulled tomorrow I have taken a few pics today  before it gets loaded on to a pallet  est weight is 1154 lb but to be totally honest I shall be over the moon if she weighs over the magic 1000 lb she did not turn out so fugly after all

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 18:49:06 »
Oh wow, Fugly is HUGE! Remarkably pretty for a biggy too. If I'm not too late, wish you luck with the weigh in  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sgbfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:16 »
Here's mine just before Harvest. Seed kindly supplied by Dandytown  :wave:

I've got the bug now.  Already dug half the patch for next year lol!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 13:42:25 »
They look great sgbfly, well done. Are you going to save seed from yours to sow next year?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sgbfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 14:51:35 »
Unfortunately they open pollinated whilst I was on holiday so given the effort needed to grow a giant I don't think I'll risk it as I don't know what other gourds were growing nearby.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 18:30:57 »
final weight and result at  York maze  1st place  with peter dandy town second  my weight was 1024lbs

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 22:02:02 »
Well done Mal...I was following your diary on BigPumpkins.com .

I managed to grow 2 pumpkins from 2 plants, from seeds kindly given to me by Dandytown, I'm quite sure I drove him crazy asking futile questions all the time as this was my first year......108 lbs and 102 lbs....basically I came last (out of 14 entries) at the Southampton weigh off  :D [img]
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 22:03:00 »

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 19:26:44 »
well done spireite  it is not always about  winning and well done for attending the  weigh off I bet you learned a lot from dave Thomas and the patton twins if I can help in any way just shoot me a question on bp.com any time
 all the best mal

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2014, 19:55:53 »
Thanks for that Mal.... It was a bit like going out to play with the big boys  :happy7:  Lots of lovely friendly people, a great day out, and very inspired to do better next year. I now have a target of beating my PB.

Word came back from my brother inlaws this week....I gave them my 102 lb pumpkin to carve...about the size of a space hopper...it was ably carved by the niece and younger nephew ( with a little help from their dad!!.)....  the children in the house opposite  them on their street are very envious; and want their parents to go shopping for a pumpkin of a similar size....I wish them luck  :toothy10:

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:06 »
Very well done Mal, and I see you got some "air" time last night on Look North too.

I'm planning on joining you and Peter next year at York (and anyone else). Coming from Cockermouth, Netley is a bit too far so Thompson and Morgan will have to bring my cheque to York  :icon_cheers:

Onwards and upwards to 2000lbs next year !

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 16:42:31 »
How do you weigh something that size? I wouldn't even get it through the gate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal