Author Topic: Giant Pumpkins 2014 - Anyone growing this year?  (Read 19997 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: Giant Pumpkins 2014 - Anyone growing this year?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 12:37:05 »
Mal looks to be having a very good year!  Not so great for me but not bad either.  Also growing outdoors

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 16:05:45 »
A picture of my first ever giant pumpkin.  Only 20 days old, with the seed courtesy of Dandytown. it's already bigger than the Jack o lantern I grew 2 years ago  :toothy10:  I'm just amazed at the size of it's stem.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 16:08:28 by Spireite »
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 22:55:59 »
A picture of my first ever giant pumpkin.  Only 20 days old, with the seed courtesy of Dandytown. it's already bigger than the Jack o lantern I grew 2 years ago  :toothy10:  I'm just amazed at the size of it's stem.

There's nothing small about a big pumpkin once it gets going :-).... my mum has told me she's not going to want the monster I've got growing ATM (she might change her mind) .... I might have to find a charity or something to donate it to, I have a feeling it will be a personal best for me as long as we get some more nice weather once Bertha clears away...

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 12:54:35 »
Looks great Spiriette!

Mal, where are you taking your giant this year?

sgbfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:11 »
Great looking stem Spireite.  I'm also growing from Pete's seed and I've just had to cull a split stem on a 874 so I'm looking on with envy, lol.  However, I also have one of his 978's at a similar stage to yours - 38 inch circumference 19 DAP.  Following here and Bigpumpkins with interest.

Simon

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 19:11:43 »
I have a new pic to add to Big pumpkins later on tonight...and I might FINALLY have a set fruit on my 2nd 874 plant, only nearly a few months behind the American growers.

hollyhamburger

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 21:07:15 »
It's my first time growing, but I've become more than a little obsessed! Reading everyone's posts, I've made the mistake of buying commercial atlantic giant seed. My pumpkin is 36 inches day 25 so not too shabby for a first attempt, but it seems to have stopped growing and is really green. Everyone else's atlantic giants seem to be yellow. Next year I'm going to have to grovel to the experts for seed! Holly

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 22:09:29 »
Welcome Holly, and yes it is a bit addictive this pumpkin growing...I just got my first allotment with a view to growing the pumpkins there next year... as my husband is a bit fed up of them taking over the garden!!  It's my first year and I think at this rate I will be lucky to make 100lbs  (the Americans always work in pounds...I keep having to convert it to stones)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 19:09:32 »
its been a while since ive been on this site so here is my pumpkin as of today 40 days after pollination  fugly I call her  she is 300 ott and that is 602 lb  not bad for day 40  doing a 20 day average of 24.45 lb per day  the skin is still very young looking with no netting at all  I hope to beat my old pb of 798 this year
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 16:40:29 »
Having just been away for qa week came back to find that #1 pumpkin has started growing again and is now probably the biggest on the site I'm on (not that that is much of a boast), it's also on a plant that still looks healthy whilst other folks are definitely going down, so if nothing else I'm saving seed from it this year. It's ancestry is an American 1329 and I self-crossed it at a time when there were few other pumpkins flowering on site. The 2nd unit (a UK 769 I believe) is a very healthy plant but the first set fruit rotted out underneath, so I've let it grow several secondary fruits in order to have some sensible ones for Halloween....

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 17:41:35 »
There is a giant Pumpkin competition at the "Big Sheep" Abbotsham Devon on 19th Oct this year, check out there web site for more details. I have seen some of the entries and they are huge.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 07:14:57 »
Looks a beauty Mal  :happy7:
What progress for fugly?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 20:53:32 »
fugly is about 860lb right now I shall know better in four days when I next measure her
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 13:34:01 »
well here is fugly on day 57 after pollination measured today and est weight is 895 lb still going well in this nice September weather 7 weeks till weigh off

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 14:19:53 »
Smashed it, way to go  :sunny:

Keep us posted  :toothy10:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 23:50:23 »
Mal that's ACE and such a deserved result for you!!

You still haven't told us what weigh off you are taking it to ;)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 19:11:16 »
 sorry peter  the weigh off I shall be going to  if all goes well is the gpc at York maze on oct 25th here is fugly enjoying a splash of water in the evening sun shine tonight I have not  measured in a few days but getting close to 1000 lb now

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 22:02:43 »
Great colour and most importantly great size Mal.  Did you mention something about this being your last year?  Somehow I don't think you'll be able to hang up your pumpkin gloves  :toothy10:

York should have a good turn out this year with yourself and Ian Paton attending and possibly SMT as well.

If you don't mnd, could you drop me an email regarding the sizing and cost of your polytunnel plastic as I fear it's the only way forward for me.

My biggest has just touched on 500 lbs  :BangHead:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 20:40:49 »
How do you weigh them?

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 16:14:30 »
I big weekend in the giant pumpkin world, the Paton twins have smashed the UK and European record with a 'kin of 1884lb and rumours have reached me that the world record has also been broken with a 'kin of 2323lb, although I cannot find info on the world record, here is the paton twins info.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-29588609

This season saw me break my own feeble personal best (was 120lb, everyone starts somewhere) with two kins, one 236lb and the biggest 303lb. Both came from seed supplied by Dandytown and very gratefull I am too. Thank you Peter.

My Mrs contacted the local paper and a photographer was dispatched, and here is the result.

So I was on page 3 with my pumpkins out !!

Looking forward to next year already!

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal