Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2014?  (Read 98061 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2014?
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2014, 21:36:02 »
I've just eaten a "sample" pod from the Jeyes pea, very yummy a lovely pea sweetness , the plant is almost six foot with white flowers , if I wasn't growing these for the circle I would have probably eaten them all there and then , brilliant raw!

That's great to know! So glad I have this pea in my collection thanks to you. :) My seeds all germinated and the plants are only a foot tall so far but they're growing. I can tell they'll be tall.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:29 »
Just a quick update..

1. sugar beet stalks have 'millions' of seeds on them....and just starting show change of colour so I'm about to take some stalks to GH to dry...  :icon_cheers:
2. I've started to gather Gilfeather turnip stalks too for final drying....before birds get them all.. :BangHead:
3. Sugar lord pod skins are going wrinkly and thin.. I've picked them to dry off...and I will carry on picking pods as they are getting ready...won't trust leaving them on plants, who knows what the weather or pigeons does.

And then I have question for you all..... would there be any interest for wheat or oat seeds? Looks like I'm going to get good crop of tall wheat..and hulless oats...I could add some into circle parcel if there is need? :sunny: :icon_cheers:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2014, 14:29:01 »
I've just eaten a "sample" pod from the Jeyes pea, very yummy a lovely pea sweetness , the plant is almost six foot with white flowers , if I wasn't growing these for the circle I would have probably eaten them all there and then , brilliant raw!

That's great to know! So glad I have this pea in my collection thanks to you. :) My seeds all germinated and the plants are only a foot tall so far but they're growing. I can tell they'll be tall.

My Jeyes peas have been decimated by slimy little gits. :( Oh well, these things happen!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2014, 14:51:06 »
Sugar Lord peas are starting to dry - still plenty on the plants too.  I had to rogue one plant, because the pods were mangetout and not snap podded.  The pods are very thick indeed, but their length is a little variable.  Crunchy, solid and sweet - but I have of course only sampled very few pods.  The plants are very tall, strong growing and have many sideshoots.  As I am leaving the pods rather than harvesting continuously, fewer pods are being produced.  I think that, because of all the side shoots the variety is capable of heavy harvests over a long time.  I am looking forward to growing Sugar Lord peas to eat next year.   :wave:

The early lettuces are stretching and getting ready to flower.  I am growing a Korean Wrapping Lettuce and a Salanova Type lettuce for the circle this year.  The herb Salad Burnett is producing seed heads which I am picking off as they develop.

My Sweet Cicely herb has produced seeds too.   This is the herb that replaces at least half the sugar in rhubarb dishes and other sour fruits.  I'll add it to the circle seeds.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2014, 15:56:17 »
I'm going to add in mispoona - with any luck I'll have lots of seed since I have 25 or so plants flowering away!

It's grown really well and quickly, providing me with a good amount of green stuff, and the flowering stalks are nice like mini-broccoli. It's looking very variable in terms of leaf shape, size, colour (some plants are slightly purple), resistance to bolting, etc, so I reckon it'd be a good one to adapt quickly to your growing conditions.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2014, 18:25:34 »
Silverleaf- in a quiet corner of the plot my Jeyes  peas are drying nicely  so fingers crossed ! Next year will fabulous!!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2014, 17:01:53 »
Urgh. My mispoona pods were looking wonderful until recently - some of them started to get brown edges so I thought they must be ripening. I picked a pod and opened it up to check whether they were ready to harvest yet, and was confronted with some tiny white grubs, maybe a millimetre long. Not good!

I checked 10 or so pods from the middle of the stalks of different plants. Every single one has multiple grubs, with some having around 20 or 30 of the things, and not many seeds left!

Maybe some of the later/earlier pods will escape. Maybe. :(

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2014, 14:40:57 »
Ha! My Kent Blues had a sudden spurt and there should be enough for the number of people currently in the circle. Turns out I don't really like mangetout, so I'll be sticking all the seed in. They really are very, very pretty.

I have 5 hand pollinated thelma sanders squash growing away nicely so I will sub in the seeds from there. Have checked the previous seeds thread and I can't see them on there so I hope that's ok.

The alberto chillies have 3 small chillies on one plant and not even a flower bud appearing on any of the other 3. I've obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what!  :BangHead:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2014, 21:43:29 »

Ha! My Kent Blues had a sudden spurt and there should be enough for the number of people currently in the circle. Turns out I don't really like mangetout, so I'll be sticking all the seed in. They really are very, very pretty.

I have 5 hand pollinated thelma sanders squash growing away nicely so I will sub in the seeds from there. Have checked the previous seeds thread and I can't see them on there so I hope that's ok.

The alberto chillies have 3 small chillies on one plant and not even a flower bud appearing on any of the other 3. I've obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what!  :BangHead:

Looking forward to that Thelma Sanders squash.  I am growing Alberto Locoto and they are second year plants (they survived in the greenhouse!)  and I have only had 5 fruits so far. First year plants produce even later.  The plants are so big they seem to need ages to grow and only when they are about 5 or 6 ft tall they produce fruit it seems.  There is still a lot of growing time left, don't worry yet!   :wave:

Sparrow, if you don't like mangetout, I hope you like snap peas?  The Sugar Lord's are in and dried and shelled.  It is a good variety.  A little variable in size, but some of the pods are twice the length of the 'standard' sugar snap.  I was impressed.  Looking forward to trying more than a couple of pods for myself next year  :icon_cheers:

Just thinking about a tomato to add to the circle.  Lylia did impress with a certain amount of blight resistance this year, a grape type tomato.  Auntie Madge's is a favourite of old, a smallish plum tomato just right to eat straight off the plant in the greenhouse  :sunny:

As usual I can't tell how many seeds are in the hand pollinated squashes, so no promises but I am looking at adding one. 

I am picking off Salad Burnett seed heads one by one and should have enough for everybody in a couple of weeks.  The Korean wrapping lettuce is in and drying, but needs its little tufts picking off and winnowing.  The other lettuce is very slow in flowering and there are few flowers, it may not happen for the seed circle this year.

Looking at Cousin Oliver's and Musje Eikes (Sparrow's Eggs) for the seed circle, which are a family heirloom beans from the USA and a Dutch landrace bean respectively.

Hope everybody else is getting joy from their chosen varieties.

And a report from last year's circle seeds:  have just harvested a good quantity of Purple Teepee beans.  I am not a great fan of dwarf beans, what with our mice/voles and slugs, but these seem to thrive against adversity and the beans taste good too.  Thank you  :toothy10:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 21:46:29 by galina »

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2014, 12:01:54 »
Galina, I love sugar snaps, and pretty much any other kind of pea. Mangetout just don't have enough pea for me. ;)

Very much looking forward to this!

Thanks for letting me know about the albertos too. They are in an open culticave, so will be a bit cooler than yours. But I have a new polycarb greenhouse to put up this autumn so they will be warmer next year, if they make it with my dubious levels of care!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:05 »
Galina, I love sugar snaps, and pretty much any other kind of pea. Mangetout just don't have enough pea for me. ;)

Very much looking forward to this!

Thanks for letting me know about the albertos too. They are in an open culticave, so will be a bit cooler than yours. But I have a new polycarb greenhouse to put up this autumn so they will be warmer next year, if they make it with my dubious levels of care!

Alberto Locoto can survive a tiny little bit of frost - mine had frost damaged top halves.  And we had a very mild winter.  Most years they would need to be taken indoors, which is a job given their size.

Not sure what a Culticave is - must google that one  :happy7:

Well, perhaps I can change your mind about mangetouts with this one.  Picture of Bijou Mangetout at 15cm long  :wave:  I had my seeds from goodlife (lovely!), but we haven't had this one in the circle yet.  Next year?

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2014, 22:26:27 »
This is a culticave: http://www.caveinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=5&zenid=64b79becb38b233a251b00df41e6c9d6

They are really good, but not as good as a greenhouse.

Am openminded about mangetouts, honest. :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2014, 13:15:08 »
The Jeyes peas are in!!  A very nice pea too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2014, 13:05:27 »
Yohoo...I'm still alive and kicking.. :wave:

All my peas are in...as well as sugar beet...Gilfeather...wheat/oats (if these are required)..GH is just full of dry/drying 'stuff'  :icon_cheers:
I'm in the middle of 'harvesting' tomato seeds...chillies/peppers have plenty of fruit on but not ripe ones yet, they look promising.
So despite low gardening mojo and overall not so good year...looking at the amount of seed stored for cleaning, one would say it haven't gone bad at all... :drunken_smilie:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2014, 13:49:28 »
Harvested and processed Gilifeather a while back, lots and lots of seeds!!!!

Disaster with Early Blood turnips, not sure there are enough to salvage.

Beit (sp) cucumber are picked and are very slowly turning a nice yellow, I won't know if they have enough seed inside until I cut them open.

Rocoto Manzano Orange, looks very likely to make the short list as they have done so well.

I'm hoping for a couple more Cisineros fruit to ripen, these tomatillos really are big!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2014, 11:13:17 »
Harvested and processed Gilifeather a while back, lots and lots of seeds!!!!

Disaster with Early Blood turnips, not sure there are enough to salvage.

Beit (sp) cucumber are picked and are very slowly turning a nice yellow, I won't know if they have enough seed inside until I cut them open.

Rocoto Manzano Orange, looks very likely to make the short list as they have done so well.

I'm hoping for a couple more Cisineros fruit to ripen, these tomatillos really are big!

Looking good but shame about the 'Early Blood', which are troublesome for you as well  :BangHead:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:02 »
Mmm! More peas  :blob7:

Thanks for showing us what a culticave is Sparrow.   :wave: 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:22 »
Sandpoint tommies are in! I am in the process of saving Marianna's Peace tom as in one fruit the first time I have had only one fruit ! On any tom! So is this a sad plant and not good enough for seed saving?

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2014, 12:27:47 »
This waiting about for things to be ready is really really bad for someone with no patience! The 5 thelmas are still growing on the vines, my albertos are finally flowering again and have some baby chillies on but they are all not ready to harvest yet.

So in all the thumb-twiddling I've started planning for next year....ordered some lovely winter squashes from Baker Creek and some interesting chillies.

I also have one musquee de provence my neighbour's son dropped (mini-grrrrrr) and it split a little on one side. It was already changing to tan, so I am hoping that a couple of months on a sunny windowsill will ripen it fully. Would you be interested in some seeds from it for the circle this year?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2014, 16:23:58 »
Most of my mispoona seeds are drying, but there's still one plant to harvest once the pods are mature - I especially want to add those genes to the pool because that plant took forever to start flowering, I was picking pods from the other plants before it even had buds. Also one of the plants showed some anthocyanin in the foliage, so there's the possibility of developing a purple strain. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal