Author Topic: How to plant a Christmas tree  (Read 2328 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
How to plant a Christmas tree
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:18 »
Now Christmas is nearly over can anyone tell me the best way to plant a Christmas tree. It is a bit more than a meter tall and is in a large pot.
Dig a large hole - yes - but manure? chicken pellets? nothing except water? All suggestions welcome.  Oh yes. It will be in a corner behind the shed close to a hedge.
near Copenhagen, Denmark

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: How to plant a Christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:58 »
For not knowing your soil type...in ideal 'world'..I would mix into planting hole and in back filling soil quite a bit grit, garden compost/leafmould and/or peat and good few handfuls of bone meal.
You are going to plant it in challenging place (near hedge) where there is already 'fight' going on with nutrients, so little addition into planting hole is needed to keep your young tree fighting chance, but that's it.
 In a spring, should you tree show signs of new growth or not...you know if you need to add anything else to really give it a boost. Then good mulch and blood, fish and bone meal (or bit of chicken pellets) is what would 'boost' the new growth.
At this stage..your tree will need to get over the first 'hurdle'= getting over the chock of new 'surroundings' around its 'toes'..then it have to 'decide' if it is happy and wants to settle in..and once spring comes, if it has survived and still 'happy', it will want to grow.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 00:57:50 »
I would repot it in a slightly bigger pot and then bury the pot in the ground.    Then you can dig it up next year and sever the roots that have come through the holes.   The restriction on the roots keeps it small.  I kept one going for four years until I was not watching and it dried out.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 20:39:49 »
I would say that Goodlife has it just about nailed. I don`t  understand why you should add grit, but otherwise I agree. THE important thing is to dig bonemeal into the bottom of the hole and add more to the backfill. I wouldn`t feed it any more than that though.
DaiT

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 17:25:31 »
If you don't want to lift it again to use indoors, just dig a hole and stick it in. Xmas trees are forest trees and don't need much TLC. Just keep watered until established. Bear in mind how big they get when deciding where to plant though!!

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 19:19:37 »
I planted my potted Christmas tree a couple of years ago, just dug a hole put some bonemeal in and thought well it has two chances and it was fine. Its growing quite happily behind my greenhouse.

Light of my life!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal