Author Topic: Parsnip seeds  (Read 11058 times)

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
Parsnip seeds
« on: September 14, 2013, 00:27:25 »
I've been trying to find some AVON RESISTOR parsnip seeds for a long time, but with no success - they seem to have disappeard off th face of the earth!

If anyone knows where I can source some Avon Resistor seeds I'd be very grateful.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
Re: Parsnip seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:59:49 »
Thank you very much for the links you sent me John Millar!

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:22:12 »
John - bad news I'm afraid. I just checked out the links you sent me ( http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_28156.html & http://www.crowders.co.uk/buy/seeds-and-bulbs/root-crops/parsnip-avonresister), one says the eeds are out of stock & the other gives a message saying these seeds are no longer listed in their on-line catalogue. :-(

Now that I've seen the pages for the links I recall having tried them before a long time back - with the same result.

Ah well, the search continues! That doesn't lessen my gratitude to you for trying though.

G.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 18:11:48 »
Various places seem to advertise it as being from T&M, but they no longer list it. I bet everyone was getting their seed in the same place, whoever T&M's supplier was.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 18:17:12 by Robert_Brenchley »

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:40:03 »
Various places seem to advertise it as being from T&M, but they no longer list it. I bet everyone was getting their seed in the same place, whoever T&M's supplier was.

That's eactly what I've found Robert - the common denominator seems to be T&M, who as you've probably rightly said no longer have the grower that used to supply them with the seed.

Sh**! . . . . .  Back to the drawing board.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:05 »
My guess is that they have been dropped from the national listing.  This is not the first variety to disappear due to EU regulations.  It costs quite a lot to register a variety and if there is not enough sales to cover the costs they drop it.  The listing should show the licence holder.

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/plantVarieties/nationalListing/documents/nlGuideSept10.pdf
http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/publications/gazette.cfm

Don't you just love the EU regulations. Several varieties I particularly like have disappeared:
Sprout amoroso and courgette Clarita.   

Suggest you contact T&M about it. 

Have you tried Gladiator?  I was given a free packet a couple of years ago and found it excellent.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:34:31 »
My guess is that they have been dropped from the national listing.  This is not the first variety to disappear due to EU regulations.  It costs quite a lot to register a variety and if there is not enough sales to cover the costs they drop it.  The listing should show the licence holder.

http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/plantVarieties/nationalListing/documents/nlGuideSept10.pdf

Don't you just love the EU regulations. Several varieties I particularly like have disappeared:

Have you tried Gladiator?  I was given a free packet a couple of years ago and found it excellent.

You've probably hit the nail on the head there. It's a crying shame when this sort of thing happens. We'll have fewer varieties of seeds available soon than the number of apple varieties in our supermarket stores - they're killing off the thousands of old apple varieties available because they're not uniform enough or don't look pretty! Flavour and taste is usually at the bottom of their requirement list

I grow Gladiator + Tender & True. The Avon Resistor was a favourite (which I haven't grown for a few years) because of it's excellent canker resistance. Ah well - such is life.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 18:44:14 »
I've saved from my Avon Resistor that I grew from a Seed Circle two years ago, I think from this site.

Got loads of them. Beautiful parsnip.

If you want to send me an SAE I'll let you have some. You will have to message me for an address though.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 19:02:06 »
Parsnip seeds keep in a freezer. I think we need to start saving our own more; so many traditional varieties have vanished thanks to ridiculous regulations, and we shouldn't just give in and let them disappear!

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 00:52:45 »
I've saved from my Avon Resistor that I grew from a Seed Circle two years ago, I think from this site.

Got loads of them. Beautiful parsnip.

If you want to send me an SAE I'll let you have some. You will have to message me for an address though.

Fantastic! I'll PM you in the next day or so.

THANKS!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:41:12 »
Wallis Seeds still list them on their web site. In fact I am growing them this year. I chitted them and set them close together as we like small parsnips rather than the big ones that some varieties produce. They seem more resistant to canker than some varieties. I know one should wait for the frosts to come before trying them but in line with our preference for small parsnips we have already frozen about 20% of our row. One row is plenty for us.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 17:45:50 »
Given the problems, you might be wise to leave a few decent roots for seed next year.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 00:45:48 »
Wallis Seeds still list them on their web site. In fact I am growing them this year. I chitted them and set them close together as we like small parsnips rather than the big ones that some varieties produce. They seem more resistant to canker than some varieties. I know one should wait for the frosts to come before trying them but in line with our preference for small parsnips we have already frozen about 20% of our row. One row is plenty for us.

BINGO! Wallis Seeds does seem to stock them. Thank you very much indeed plot22.

Judith Flacke

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 14:13:11 »
Wallis seeds no longer have them..... Anybody got any other ideas please? Would be delighted to hear!

Alternatively,  suggestions for short and stubby parsnips that will tolerate clay also welcome.

I'm in Italy just to make it more complicated, so they have to survive the heat and then not grow too long. So many varieties go so deep I can't actually dig them out when I want them! Avonresister was perfect......!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 16:34:47 »
Wallis seeds no longer have them..... Anybody got any other ideas please? Would be delighted to hear!

Alternatively,  suggestions for short and stubby parsnips that will tolerate clay also welcome.

I'm in Italy just to make it more complicated, so they have to survive the heat and then not grow too long. So many varieties go so deep I can't actually dig them out when I want them! Avonresister was perfect......!
          white gem is a good one for shallow soils so it should be OK for clay and may i take this opportunity to welcome you to a4a i hope you enjoy it as much as i have
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 21:17:42 »

If you are also being "doorstepped" by the In or Out brigades, ask each how long before such meddling bureaucratic nonsense is unwound. Personally I will expect it all to be put right shortly after 24/06/16, whichever camp wins, but dont hold your breath!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Judith Flacke

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 11:28:38 »
Thanks to all!  Much appreciated!

Will try White Gem and/or Gladiator.

One problem here is that I need to plant early or they do not survive the heat of summer well. But if I am not careful they end up 1m long (if I can get them out of the ground!)!

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal