Author Topic: Strawberry Problems  (Read 1884 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Strawberry Problems
« on: March 05, 2016, 17:05:11 »
In the past I have always had success with strawberries, and I always make sure my plants are renewed every 3/4 years into ground that hasn't grown them before.

However ever since I last renewed my plants and started a new bed about 18 months ago, they have failed to thrive and some have even died, for no apparent reason. They have been well fed and watered when needed and are growing in a shallow raised bed so can't have become waterlogged even this last winter.

The only thing I can come up with is that this bed of strawberries is growing in soil that previously had autumn raspberries in it. After clearing the old crop I only forked in a top dressing of compost before putting the strawberries in. I am wondering if the soil might have been stale or even sour after the raspberries came out?

Any thoughts? What could have gone wrong?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Strawberry Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 21:10:31 »
Were these plants new (from outside source )or related runners from previous crop? Would have heavily fed with FYM-3" layer prior to planting. Any signs of root pests?, wireworm? chafer grubs?,leatherjackets? Excavate a sample area and sieve to locate these.
If the remaining are valued, give a top dressing of hoof and horn, bonemeal and dried blood or similar to a section and compare with an untreated control section.Otherwise start again on previously uncropped area (with strawberries) and keep fingers crossed
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Strawberry Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:41:19 »
Were these plants new (from outside source )or related runners from previous crop? Would have heavily fed with FYM-3" layer prior to planting. Any signs of root pests?, wireworm? chafer grubs?,leatherjackets? Excavate a sample area and sieve to locate these.
If the remaining are valued, give a top dressing of hoof and horn, bonemeal and dried blood or similar to a section and compare with an untreated control section.Otherwise start again on previously uncropped area (with strawberries) and keep fingers crossed

Thanks for reply. I think they were a mixture of plants really. I usually grow new plants from healthy runners, but didnt have enough so bought in new to fill gaps (mail order bare root). may also have been a couple of slightly older plants transplanted from the old bed as they were still young enough to be productive. naughty i know but i have done it before with no problem, in fact they might be the only ones to have done OK in the current bed!

Havent checked for pests in the soil. Will look but dont normall have much problem with soil borne pests in the garden, thanks in part to a healthy bird population (blackbirds particularly).

I am thinking that starting again is the best option. I dont think the current plants are going to do any good even with generous feeding and mulching (I have recently given them some rose food to try and boost them, but not holding my breath). Bit limited for new sites so might end up digging out the soil from the problem bed and putting in fresh before replanting.

Whilst i am happy to start again it would be nice to know what caused the problem in the first place, so that i can try and avoid it happening again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal