Author Topic: cucamelons help!  (Read 8029 times)

theone

• Not So New ...
cucamelons help!
« on: September 03, 2013, 17:48:24 »
Have just started picking mine. The skin is terribly hard, inedible in fact although the inside is cucumber-y. Surely you're not supposed to peel them??
Did i leave them on the plant too long? I was so looking forward to them.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: cucamelons help!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 18:30:53 »
mine are still tiny so i cant help but im hoping you can just eat them without faffing about peeling them
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 19:27:45 »
I didn't peel mine and the skins were a bit tough even on the ickle ones.
Given the space they take for the crop and the fact that they aren't that tasty I shall be adding them to the "to be forgotten and never tried again" section of my seedbank
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:41:15 »
I didn't peel mine and the skins were a bit tough even on the ickle ones.
Given the space they take for the crop and the fact that they aren't that tasty I shall be adding them to the "to be forgotten and never tried again" section of my seedbank

They should be crisp but not tough???  Not sure what happened there, maybe try a young fruit.

Last time I grew them I had so many that I ended up pickling a couple of jars.  Fruits halved and pickled, any cucumber recipe will do.  That should deal with any tough skins and save them from the compost heap.   :tongue3:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:43:24 »
Ha Ha ... another piece of top advice from Snake Oil salesman James Wong!

theone

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:19 »
I tried a younger one, not so tough but really not worth the effort. Shame. It sounded so perfect, sitting in my little secret arbour , surrounded by scented roses and buddleia eating summer-warm cucas off the vine. Ho hum.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 20:25:50 »
I keep a specially-sharpened spoon for scooping the insides from kiwi-fruit (with minimum juice). Sounds like it might be the answer for these buggers.

I have to keep it hidden though - using it without recognising it (eg. after a few too many) could lead to serious blood loss...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:37:40 »
I was given two plants from an allotment friend, mine to are bidding to take over the greenhouse and not keen on the titchy fruits, so agree grown once, never again bin!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 14:10:15 »
I was just doing my Kings seed order when I spotted this. I did list them to try, but have scrubbed them off the list. Back to burpless  for me, nice to use as gerkins when small and I often pick one and just eat it when I need a bit of refreshment when I am working on the plot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal