Author Topic: Who uses scythes?  (Read 6616 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Who uses scythes?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:56:52 »
Brighton Permaculture ran the course I went to on 3/4 August (see below). I don't know when their next one is, but the site should tell you. When I was first looking for a course, I did some googling and found them all over the country - not many, but easy to track down on the internet and I hope you find one near you. I was very lucky that this course was not only an hour's drive from where I live, but had places available - we were 8, but they take a maximum of 12. The full fee is £200 for 2 days, but they have very generous discounts and as an OAP I paid £80, which I thought well worth it. £40 a day for constant attention and skilled advice over about 7 or 8 hours (we started scything at 7am on Sunday morning to take advantage of fresher grass and cooler weather). I am 70, and not particularly fit, but managing a scythe is well within my capability because the work is as gentle or vigorous as you care to make it.

Yet another advantage of the scythe is that when using a strimmer on a wet day you end up splattered all over with mud and wet grass. The scythe seems so civilised in comparison, plus you don't have to wear ear and eye protectors.

http://www.brightonpermaculture.org.uk/courses-conferences-and-events/courses/scything.html

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Re: Who uses scythes?
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 23:17:56 »
Only just come across this thread, so a bit late in the day but I have been thinking for years about scything and often toyed with the idea of buying one. I have a couple of acres of paddock that I need to keep clear of docks and buttercup and I'm loath to use chemicals to help as I use the grass for grazing horses. Up until a few weeks ago I used a brush cutter/strimmer on the young plants. My old strimmer finally packed up and it got me thinking about buying a scythe again. Purely by chance, my other half told me she'd seen no less than three scythes in the window of a local charity shop. Too good to miss. I bought one to try and now wish I'd bought one years ago. It's no more tiring to use than a heavy strimmer and much faster and cleaner, even the older docks with woody stems that have escaped the strimmer are no problem to the long curved blade. So the scythe gets a big thumbs up from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal