Author Topic: Plot safety  (Read 4107 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Plot safety
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2006, 23:45:17 »
I have a vicious little handtool that I call the Claw From Outer Space, not knowing its real name - it has three sharp bent prongs that are excellent for scraping up weeds between plants and on paths. I never ever put it down without digging its points in the soil because of my vivid imagination about what it could do to someone's feet if they trod on it heavily.

I have some railway sleepers propping up beds, and my daughter will not let her children near them because of their alleged ability to slay them instantly if they simply step on them, wearing shoes. She won't eat vegetables that grow near them. What do people think about using railway sleepers these days?

My brother-in-law took off part of his hand trying to get a lawn mower going. Ouch! He is a farmer, and used to dangerous machinery, so it just shows what one might do in a moment's absentmindedness.

The warning about the strimmer slashing your face is very useful. I am about to do a lot of strimming and will now be extra careful.

I have to admit that I had never considered keeping a first aid box at the site. I keep one in the car because of EU regulations, but generally go to the allotment on a bicycle. I suppose it would be a good idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal