Author Topic: Plot safety  (Read 4106 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Plot safety
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 18:54:44 »
I have slipped a-over-t on the paths many a time, glad I am normally alone at the plot, only the crows to laugh at me, and always flicking soil into my eyeballs!  What is it they close at the exact same nano second as the soil hits them, not before, oh no!

Another one I thought of, sunken water features.  On our site, one of the plot holders has a dustbin sunk to ground level and full of water and pond weed.  The grass grows around, and to be honest, if you aren't aware it was there you could quite easily end up in it!  They did once have a little bit of 'fence' around it, but that has gone.  Looks pretty, and is pretty dangerous!

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 20:33:33 »
One of our plot holders picked a very nasty ear infection-the whole of his face swelled up . The Doc reckoned he had put his dirty fingrer into said ear and caused the infection.
Makes a change from foot in the mouth I  ;D ;Dsuppose!!
Chris Pea

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 19:45:34 »
If you're allowed bonfires on your site, as we are, make sure you keep and eye on the wind direction, especially if you're near to houses, main roads etc. Make sure you have your fire away from sheds, fences, greenhouses, trees etc. if possible have a contained fire in a drum.
Don't use petrol/diesel, paraffin etc to "get it going" and take care about what goes on the fire, plastics give off toxic fumes, aerosols give off big bangs and wet or green stuff give off thick smoke.

faerie9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 20:42:13 »
Don't let your other half keep pieces of Land Rover on your lottie over the winter. They leak nasty liquids....

I doubt this will apply to most people!!!!!  :D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 09:44:08 »
And of course, keep a first aid kit handy but don't tell anyone else about it otherwise you'll end up using all your plasters on other people lol.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 09:50:28 »
ohhhh the landrover parts apply to us
we have 2 a 30 odd year old series 3 and a 110

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2005, 18:30:01 »
And after our lovely sunny day today it reminded me to take a bottle of sun cream and leave in the shed, especially if you have little helpers with you, and perhaps a sun hat too.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2005, 16:29:28 »
When I first took mine on and was clearing it I was biten I think by a horsefly, I then had a reaction to it  the whole of my calf went rock hard and then swelling occured, you could see where it had bitten, I needed a course of anti-biotics, I have been stung by both bees and wasps but had no reaction. I have heard someone else on the site hit a wasps nest whilst clearing.

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2005, 13:03:00 »
Be very careful when helping someone cut netting! I was crouched on one end of a large roll of sheep netting at our allotment fence mending session a couple of weekends ago. I was crouched down because the North wind howling down the site made it too cold to stand up. My mate was cutting the netting about 10 feet away, and let it go when he got to the end. i looked up just in time to get it right between the eyes! I just thank everything that's good, that he had cut it right to to the 'squares'. If he'd cut it leaving the wire ends, I'd've got a 4inch spike of thick wire in each eye. As it is I have looked like a boxer ever since :o

Oh yes, the funny rake routine - been there, done that, hilarious!

uneven, slippery steps and paths - get my DH every time...

Love and Compost
Linda

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2005, 18:27:23 »
Wow Linda, that could have been just horrendous!  As it is, black eyes aren't great!  You were very lucky indeed.

In the first aid kit, make sure you have antihistamine cream and liquid for all stings and bites.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 09:14:38 »
 :o Geez :o that could have been nasty, accidents do happen when you least expect them :o

Hope you feel better soon ;)

I had my tetanus injection yesterday, apparently it includes polio and diptheria as well, the aching in my upper arm I thought was due to yesterdays heavey digging but not so sure now ???

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2005, 13:17:37 »
If you are in the situation, you have to cross a deep, narrow stream, just before opening the allotment gate, with a wheel barrow-wide bridge ( read 2 planks) dont'be lazy or want to be quick, but put down the wheel barrow, open the gate first and go back to get your full wheelbarrow with manure. The water can be veeeery cold.. ;D ;D
So always have some dry , clean clothes in shed/ car :-*

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2005, 13:54:56 »
I agree LC.  I too would be very careful in  that situation ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2005, 20:34:19 »
Was knocked unconcious by the Health & Safety on Allotments Handbook which fell off the shelf as I came in the door  :'(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 21:32:59 »
Safety can be dangerous to you health?

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2005, 08:33:35 »
Glass cold frames are also dangerous things.
My mother in law several years ago made a cold frame out of a single glazes interior door. one rainy day she was pottering around slipped under foot, fell putting her hand through the cold frame glass. She severed her wrist cutting through tendons and everything. as you can imagine blood pumping every where.She was rushed to hospital after loosing several pints of blood and has had several operations to repair nerves and tendans. Still has little sensation in her fingers and finds it hard to grip things.

If you are making things use old double glazing units at least they are toughened glass and at the very worst you may only break the top pain.

Be safe .

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 14:19:30 »
Seeing as everyone is out in full force on their lotties now I thought I'd revive this thread from last year, there's some important information about safety that some new allotment holders might like to read. It would be nice to add more to this thread if you think of something not mentioned already. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Katinkka

• Not So New ...
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2006, 11:08:30 »
As someone mentioned the first aid kit, I can recommend the 12.99 ones you can get in toyrus and various places.  They are green.  I would also throw in some paracetamol.  We keep one in both our cars.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2006, 20:12:55 »
i have a "no running" rule when my two girls (3 & 5) are with me.

They kept taking no notice of my "mind the bamboo canes" talks until i staged a very graphic demonstration with a bamboo cane and a honey dew melon (head or torso substitute). It worked wonders! got the same result when i showed them what would happen to their fingers (using a pencil) if they kept putting them on the hinge side of the doors!  :o

Tabbycat

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2006, 20:48:42 »
on the subject of ponds i would suggest a sign  stating there is a pond on the plot  so others can  be made a ware of where it is  and any cutting tools  ie rose pruners eather dig them in point down r use a leather cover for when not in use  please never leave them on the floor even for a second  keep all chemicals well labled and high out of reach r on the floor in a locked box of some sort  tools the same

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal