Author Topic: Plot safety  (Read 4110 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Plot safety
« on: March 11, 2005, 17:18:03 »
As promised elsewhere, a word or two purely on plot safety instigated by broad comments under 'News'.
Newbies to the plot environmet might not realize how hazardouse it can be and what basic steps can be taken to minimize risks.
One starter from the other post was lids on water butts.

Have a think and add something.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Plot safety
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 17:27:38 »
Block the ends of runs of glass cloches.

When putting in canes, hold close to the bottom - not half way up, or they can split & stab you.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 17:29:55 by tim »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 17:35:35 »
On the subject of short canes, put small drinks bottles over the end, as I once stabbed myself in the eye leaning over the row.

Methinks I was extremely lucky . . .

Update : Monty was talking about the same subject tonight, although he suggested used old red noses ha ha ha!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 21:41:31 by Derekthefox »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 17:56:24 »
Have a basic first aid kit with you.
Antiseptic, wound wash, plasters, washing water, bandage, tweezers, cotton wool, eye bath and solution.
Possibly sting treatment spray and mobile phone.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 18:06:15 »
And a flask of brandy?

Sorry!

abarton6

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 19:34:18 »
One of the plots at my allotments has sheets of corrugated metal to make a compost heap - the corner is right next to the path and protrudes at a very dangerous level for small kids, also he sharp point is facing up the hill so there is a chance that kids or adults even could slip into it on a wet path. We have decided not to use that path at all as I consider it too dangerous.

Basically my point is check the perimiters of your plot and check there are no obstructions onto pathways.

Also beware of bits of wood with protruding nails !

(Sorry if these points are a bit obvious!)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 20:00:57 »
Not obvious at all Ab'y...well pointed out. Most well run lotties are pretty keen on keeping what's 'your's' inside your fence.
My neighbours seem to just chuck everything they don't want over the fence. As it happens it's a corner plot so not too much of a danger. An eyesore tho with old tree prunings and broken plant pots. Me thinks I'll chuck it all back over into there plot seeing as how they won't be round again for at least a month.

Any more safety hints?

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 21:19:51 »
Stand your fork into the ground when not in use, don't leave it lying flat on the ground with the prongs facing upwards.

Don't leave bits of broken glass on your plot, I've dug out loads from my plot, luckily no cuts yet but I always wear a pair of good quality leather gloves.

Some of our plot holders have low level metal stakes marking the edges of their plot, the stakes have rough/sharp edges and some screws protruding (at some stage they had boards attached to the stakes, assume for raised beds), I caught and ripped my trouser leg on one yesterday. Someone else has bamboo canes about 30cm high marking the corners of their beds, so easy for children to fall onto.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 21:54:12 »
Beware of the slapstick rake position.
It's such a classic but still it got me once hahahaha, stepped on the prongs and got hit on the side of the head by the handle.

Despite the tetanus controversy, I still believe in keeping the vaccination up to date.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 22:01:49 »
Dehydration
It´s easy to get dehydrated while working, especially if it´s warm and you´re up there for some hours. Take up a large bottle of water and a flask of something hot. It´s also a good idea to have a high-calorie snack such as chocolate or Kendal mint cake for if you overdo it and feel wobbly. At such times, more serious accidents are more likely to happen! And if you´re working over lunch, remember to take sandwiches!

Watch out for others
If you can look about you as you enter or leave the sites, check to see if there is anyone else there, and if they are ok!  Call to others as you arrive and leave so they know if you´re there.  Be friendly!

On the mobile phones mentioned by kenkew, make sure you've got the number for the police, not just the emergency number, but the one you ring to report damage etc.  And that it's charged up!!!!!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 22:19:13 »
One that got me and I still have the scars to prove it.  Regardless of the weather, cover bare flesh when hacking back weedy nettle filled areas.  Last summer I hacked back a huge nettle patch which was also filled with unknown weeds and not only was I stung very badly, but I was also sprayed with sap and plant juices (and got stung by a wasp to boot!).  Was fine for 24hours, but then, when the slightly sore stung skin was exposed to sunlight - whoop - covered in HUGE blisters.  Looked as though I had been very very very badly burnt.  Felt poorly, skin was incredibly tender and of course, became infected (nice huh!).  Ended up on antibiotics and antibiotic creams and resting.  On my tummy (yes, I was scantly clad  :() and up my left arm I still have brown scar tissue from the burns.  Now I have baby wipes in the shed so I can keep my skin clean if I get any sap on me, plus I have several good pairs of gloves (thanks to Ava for my birthday!  ;D)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 10:48:52 »
Sorry to hear that EJ  :o  Plants can really give off some right irritating juices.  A bloke I worked with inherited an overgrown plot and on a sunny day set about it.  No shirt on and only shorts.  Sometime after he started to get itchy and after a short time his whole body was becoming a mass of painful blisters.  he had to go to casualty and they kept him in with burns.  The plant was RUE.  Some of his burns were very deep and he was in hospital for a week or so.
I came, I saw, I composted

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 13:45:14 »
Steel-toe capped boots!!!!!!!!!!

They may not be sexy but I wouldn't be without my pair.  My niece and nephew say they make me look like some builder bloke called "bob" but the steel toes saved me from a fork in the foot last year.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 15:41:21 »
I recently got whacked at the side of the head with a rake my husband left lying about :'(  Got very bad cut on hand last year when I was breaking an old teapot to make crocks.  My mate had a brand new pair of secateurs and took the end of his finger off with them  :'( :'(     It's more dangerous than diy.  My husband had a fight with a strimmer and lost.  He never, ever used it again.  He looked like Al Capone with a cut from one end of his fizog to the other.  It all swelled up and he got black eyes as well.  This was because he followed none of the safety rules as regards to tipping the strimmer and didn't wear a visor.  If he'd gone round the garden picking out the obstructions first he would have been ok but oh no. 

And the time he set fire to his trousers well ......  ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 17:18:40 »
Come on now....you just can't leave it there...thats' cruel

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 17:25:04 »
I can't think of anything more painful than a slice up yer fizog. Maybe a whack on the goobies, but at least that's not long lasting.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 22:59:47 »
the day my OH cut up his features with the strimmer he got a phone call asking him to stand in for someone too sick to play pool in a pub tournament.  My OH agreed being the good soul that he is.  His face was so bruised, cut and swollen and his eyes were black by tea time.  He put his sunglasses on and went to this pub for the competition.  Folk were giving him a wide berth cos he looked like the local mafia  ;D   They won  :)

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 07:07:49 »
One of the most innocent and yet accident prone areas of the lottie are the paths.

The tend to get a little narrower each year through cultivation and erosion also 'uneven'. After a period of rain they become almost non negotiable. I have seen many a plot holder go base over apex by slipping off the edge, in fact done myself many times

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 08:20:03 »
Derek: I agree. Our lotties are on a slope, and so the drop between the grass level and the soil on the downward side is about 7-8" and so erosion is continually eating away at it.
I've had to put boards against the edge this year, filling in the gap with flints, and I'm hoping that the infalling soil plus the stones plus the couch grass will help re-set the bank in place. But I know what you mean about slipping sideways... ow!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 15:34:40 »
Co-incidence or what; This morning I got an eye full of soil (not saying how!) I had a heck of a job cleaning my eye and wished I had a mirror down the plot!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal