Author Topic: Durstons MP or JAB Compost 2013  (Read 7158 times)

irridium

• Acre
Durstons MP or JAB Compost 2013
« on: April 03, 2013, 20:02:06 »
I'm in need to buy some compost soon as my stock from last year is running low. Unfortunately, I'm unable to be choosy about selected brands as I don't drive and would depend on the two retailers available for deliveries. This year, I have Durstons MP compost/or MP with added JI and J Arthur Bowers Multi-purpose Compost 60 Litres. The latter is one I haven't tried yet and am a bit sceptical about a new brand that I have no experience of. Last year's MP was Plant & Grow (Premium Horticulture Ltd) but it isn't great as it's filled with bark.

Has anyone had experience of either of these brands? It's not ideal but I don't really have much choice :sad10: :sad10:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 20:07:57 by irridium »

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Durstons MP or JAB Compost 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:20 »
I used JAB last year with no problems
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 14:01:13 »
If you have a search there are several threads on JAB compost. I wouldn't touch it after giving it a second chance the year before last. It wasn't compost it was lumps of all sorts including glass, wood & plastic.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 21:26:19 »
I use Singletons but when I run out it will probably be Lidls..  Do you have one of those? It doesn't seem too bad at the price.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 20:31:08 »
Sorry, didn't proof-read my post, i should have said that it was the Durston's compost that I haven't tried. Did try the JAB but that was years ago, and I can't remember what the quality was then. As money's tight, I don't think the Lidl's one will be suitable as they're usually in smaller bags whereas I'd like something at least 60l and I'd have to pay for a taxi which will probably cost about  a tenner to cover the journey.

Anyone heard of Durstan's?
Thanks! :angel11:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 20:35:05 »
Our local Booths supermarket sell Dunstons. I haven't used it but a plot neighbour used it a couple of years ago & said she would use it again.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 21:09:07 »
it's currently priced at 3 for a £10 with free delivery (live locally) so, I'm really taking a risk with it if i do order this. i've yet to see what it looks like as they didn't have any in stock when i enquired last week.

Normally, I get my compost delivered from this nursery about 6 miles away where they only charge £5 delivery but the quality of the various brands have been up and down for the last couple of years. It's always hit and miss and it gets v. annoying when you open the first bag and it's full of crax that you have 5 others like it (I bulk order so it'll last for at least 15mths) so you end up sieving it all the time (last brand is about 1/5 full of 1" bark, thankfully nothing nasty).

How's everyone's 2013 bought compost so far?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 21:12:42 »
I love Mother Earth compost & have a enough hopefully for seed sowing.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 21:26:18 »
think i'll give the nursery a ring in the morning and see what other brands they do. after reading the rep. of JAB in previous posts, I'll give that a miss and not get too money-saving frugal by going for these three for a tenner offers, and buy singly instead. is that most good gardeners' way of thinking?

GJ: Thanks for your replies. I'll look-out for Clover/Mother Earth.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 14:58:08 »
It was Manicscouser who put me on to Mother Earth/Clover. Wonderful stuff, like putting your hand into a bag of flour compared to the others. It didn't need sieving either. You could go on the Clover web site & email them. They would tell you if there's a local stockist.

OH took me on a 15 mile round trip to get some 2 years ago ago just to shut me up about the sieving I needed to do. I have complained to JAB twice & received vouchers & another one that I can't remember.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 14:39:31 »
got the Durston's one in the end and found that it was lovely, friable, black and with no bits in the first scoop I'd done for my seedlings. It also, had perlite/vermiculite in it as well which I'd not seen in MP compost before. I just hope that my seeds/seedlings  will survive and grow on well in this new brand.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 19:48:26 »
That's good to hear :icon_cheers:.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 20:57:18 »
Have Durstons compost company have a website ?
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 21:15:38 »
here you go -

http://www.durstongardenproducts.co.uk/stockists.html
i got the 60l MP one at 3 for a £10.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 21:20:12 by irridium »

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 21:17:16 »
thank you
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 23:12:19 »
Has anyone else noticed how the MP compost suppliers are conning us? Three or four years ago they were 75 l, then last year they were 70 l - and this year they are mostly at 60 l, even though the price is the same or higher :cussing:

Tricia

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:32 »
yes, i noticed that  :BangHead: :BangHead: so not fair...

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 08:08:53 »
I used the link to Durstons web site & asked if they have a seller local to me. The reply was that they don't but Lidl & Aldi own label compost & bark is actually Durstons. Worth knowing.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 08:16:37 »
I am using miracle grow this year (OH bought it for me, 3 for a tenner) not impressed at all. Wont bother to get it again, full of bits and feels very rough with what feels like shredded uncomposted stuff in it. (Not a good description but I cant think of the word I want to describe it!) And lots of it has gone mouldy on the top of my pots  :BangHead:  It says on the side that the texture is like that to improve drainage!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal