Author Topic: Japanese daikon/radish/mooli  (Read 5132 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Japanese daikon/radish/mooli
« on: March 31, 2013, 21:59:23 »
Ok..I'm really pulling short straws here...BUT...if anybody, by any chance would have variety called 'Sakurajima' (GIANT round sort) seed spare...I would LOVE to tempt to you swap some with me.
I've tried to look for some..but there don't seem to be any available in Europe. I've spent all day browsing and I can only find them in USA(most don't even send to UK  :BangHead:)...and as yet, haven't come across any Japanese seed companies sites...language might be a bit of problem too.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Japanese daikon/radish/mooli
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 13:49:46 »
Will ask my daughter in Toronto to ask her friends in Japan (she did a fair bit of travelling).  Can't guarantee anything though.  She's of the Australian view to international seeds.  Would the American websites post to Canada?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 18:16:37 »
Will ask my daughter in Toronto to ask her friends in Japan (she did a fair bit of travelling).  Can't guarantee anything though.  She's of the Australian view to international seeds.  Would the American websites post to Canada?
Oh..thank you for thinking of me...but don't go to the trouble...that apply to Grannyjanny too who sent me pm about it .. :icon_cheers:
Awful lot of 'work' for sake of  packet of seeds.
Yes, most of site do send to Canada..I think. I've noticed that Reimer seeds do send to UK, though they don't take responsibility if they get here, but If I do go to trouble ordering..I won't be doing for sake of just one packet and as my seed box is looking 'bit' full at the moment..I won't be ordering anything much this year..err, spring anymore.
My add was to try my luck and to full fill sudden whim :drunken_smilie: You never know what people have stashed away  :tongue3:
I shall start 'serious' shopping later on the year and maybe get some from across the water then.
I can easily get some other type of daikon in UK, so I won't be without...but the variety that I'm after can grow into monster size..and I fancied bit of something 'fun' to grow...and eat.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 18:57:25 »
I read an article that the Japanese have a speciality in growing giant fruit and veg.  Don't think they are for general daily consumption though but for buying as impressive pressies - like we would take a bottle of wine or bunch of flowers.  However have you thought of the climate it would grow in.  Sakura is in Chiba prefecture, Japan, south of Tokyo I believe.  I think Tokyo is on a lattitude about the toe of Italy.  It was, to me, unbearably hot and humid in September although its a darned sight colder than here in winter.

Won't hurt to ask my daughter though.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:31 »
However have you thought of the climate it would grow in.

Yes..they should be fine growing over here.
What I've been reading about this veg..they are everyday day staple stuff, eaten in variety of ways..even pickled!
Though when they do grow them into giant size..I don't know if they are still that nice to eat??..one just have to try, both growing and eating..nothing beats home experiments :icon_cheers:
Sakurajima variety is grown in soil that is rich with volcanic ash...I understand Sakurajima is name of a volcano...so I though I could make a 'special' bed that is enriched with lots rock dust and some wood ash too + some seaweed meal and sand...best that I can do to get close to same soil condition.
I just ordered some 'ordinary' long type Japanese radish seeds..and hopefully I can start 'playing' with the soil and seeds soon.. :icon_cheers: Maybe one day I get hold of the 'giant' seeds and play more... :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:25:22 by goodlife »

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:53 »
You have got a p.m.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 13:48:24 »
 :hello2: Now that PM was very nice indeed... :thumbsup: