Author Topic: Potash questions  (Read 3145 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Potash questions
« on: March 15, 2013, 17:19:57 »
I have some remains of fires that I have been given.

I have the following questions

1 why is this kind of potash red, when boughten stuff is white,
2 Which plants like it
3 How much should I apply

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Potash questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 20:53:50 »
Ash can be white or red, depending on what's been burnt. Red usually means whatever it was contained a few percent of iron, but it's just oxide, and does no harm.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 23:34:37 »
Any fruiting plant loves potash... sprinkle it on and water it in when fruits are forming.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:38:50 »
Avoid any acid loving plants as the ash can raise the soil PH.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:14:53 »
Many thanks I willkeep away from raspberries. 

Bit of a problem with potatoes seems they like potash but go scabby with too much lime.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:56 »
Wood ash is good source for K = potassium and contain some calcium and phosphorus too.
It is quite short acting and won't last long in soil so better stored and used when needed. I use mine mixed in damp compost.. easy to sprinkle on soil and don't get blown all over the place.
You can used it with potatoes.. but its best not used in huge quantity and not applied into the trenches where it cause scab when in direct contact with the tubers.
I like to apply some ash with compost mulch for oniony and brassica plants in middle of summer..in theory that added potash should help making 'hardier' plants/bulbs that can resist heat/cold and/or diseases  during growth and in storage.
I always use something to 'blend' the ash with as it can damage young delicate roots and leaves!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal