Author Topic: Walsall, West Mids  (Read 2395 times)

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
Walsall, West Mids
« on: April 11, 2005, 22:08:30 »
Hi, new to this site. My plot is by the Spring Cottage in Walsall. Have had it for two years now and love the fresh air and exercise ( don't get much of either when you are a driving instructor!)
My Dad has a plot one side of me, he grows mostly veg and my Mum has just taken the plot the other side of mine so she can do mostly fruit. I'll have a try at anything. It's quite a wet area, courgettes and pumpkins love it.
Going to try sweet potatoes this year so will no doubt be on here looking for advice and tips very soon!
Caz  :)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Walsall, West Mids
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 00:08:06 »
I want a go at sweet pots but don't know how apart from you start with some organic ones and take slips whatever that means.  When you find out please tell me  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 00:45:44 »
welcome aboard

all i know about sweet potatoes is that they related to bindweed. i think that's right
not as invasive, one hopes ;)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 14:27:47 »
Hi
I've been trying to find out some info about them so I've got an idea of what to do with them. This link - http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/sweetpotato1.html is a fairly typical example of the sort of info I've been finding.
Sounds like you can start your own off but I've ordered some from Thompson & Morgan cuz I thought they should be decent quality (and it's quicker!).
Another website said you should cover the ground with black plastic and also cover them with a poly tunnel because they really need to grow in the warm - I suppose you could do them in the greenhouse? Am keen to know how others have got on with them. Any suggestions/advice please anyone??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal