Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2013  (Read 82427 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2013
« Reply #380 on: June 30, 2014, 07:40:29 »
Did anyone try the Goji Berry seeds yet?  I hope you all have luck with them.  :happy7:

Mine are rocketing :icon_cheers:
No bay yet though.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2014, 20:45:13 »
My goji berries came up, but are still very small.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13:48 »
Bay babies,
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #383 on: July 17, 2014, 17:59:04 »
Ian, thank you for Biskopen's Graaert.  They are delightful.  Very unusual pea colour shining through maturing pods.  And surprisingly, they are a mangetout.  Very nice indeed.  The tallest in the pea patch this year nearly 8ft with all the rain we had.  Quite late maturing after the earlies have gone - so good!  Many of my vines are perishing in this heat, but these are still looking good.  To have a variety that extends the pea season is a delight.  Thank you for the seeds.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:42 »
Forgot to say - the seeds look light to dark brown when the pods are still at edible mangetout state, although the darker brown peas are better shelled out.  Later the seeds dry to dark purple.  I think I mentioned that this variety was the tallest growing this year.  The pods started developing relatively late, but suddenly there was an abundance.  At the moment they are gamely struggling to continue against mildew and still producing new pods in abundance.

Visually stunning too, because the dark seeds are actually visible through the green pods, especially on the early developing ones.  As you said Ian, not a very sweet variety, but I have never seen anything like it!     :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #385 on: July 31, 2014, 18:29:41 »
Picture of this pea

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #386 on: July 31, 2014, 20:54:49 »
Glad they are a hit! I didn't grow any this year; too many other varieties to try out. Magnum Bonum did well for me, and I like Skansk Margart which I'm only getting round to trying this year. I think it is from three years ago. Goodlife's, if I remember correctly.

pumkinlover

« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2014, 08:15:09 »
Can anyone help me identify some peas. I got them from one of the circles- no idea which- but they were labelled "Blauschokker"   . It is a large green mange tout, with slightly brown flecks but more a muddy brown at the moment.
I can find Blauwschokker on the internet  which is a purple podded and definitely not what I grew.
Has anyone else had these seeds and can help identify them. If not I will happily grow them anyway and Thank you to the donor  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2014, 08:47:48 »
Can anyone help me identify some peas. I got them from one of the circles- no idea which- but they were labelled "Blauschokker"   . It is a large green mange tout, with slightly brown flecks but more a muddy brown at the moment.
I can find Blauwschokker on the internet  which is a purple podded and definitely not what I grew.
Has anyone else had these seeds and can help identify them. If not I will happily grow them anyway and Thank you to the donor  :happy7:

I think there may have been a packing error.  'Eat Me', a large mangetout pea, came from the same source as Blauwschokker. This may have been the source of the confusion.  All my peas labelled  Blauwschokker were also like you describe them, not like they should be.  Too bad - these things can happen  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2014, 13:31:28 »
Thanks Petra, that makes sense as they looked so similar when growing, and the peas did too.
I needed to grow out the EatMe's and never got to eat any but have enough to plant now and eat. They are so fast to grow, so pleased  :happy7:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2014, 14:01:04 »

I think there may have been a packing error.  'Eat Me', a large mangetout pea, came from the same source as Blauwschokker. This may have been the source of the confusion.  All my peas labelled  Blauwschokker were also like you describe them, not like they should be.  Too bad - these things can happen  :wave:

Uh Oh!  That'll be me then :drunken_smilie:

Sorry folks. Next time (next year perhaps) I'll get it right. Promise. :angel11:
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2014, 17:13:22 »

Uh Oh!  That'll be me then :drunken_smilie:

Sorry folks. Next time (next year perhaps) I'll get it right. Promise. :angel11:

No issue, these things happen and can happen to any of us.  Don't worry about it  :wave:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 17:15:15 by galina »

pumkinlover

« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2014, 21:15:39 »
No worries. I just wanted to check it out. Easily done -) surprised  I not done!

pumkinlover

« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2014, 21:16:45 »
No worries. I just wanted to check it out. Easily done -) surprised  I not done!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2015, 13:28:04 »
I'm just bumping this up before unsticking it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2015, 09:25:25 »
A very late addition, regarding the Melothria scabra seeds I added to this circle:

Gleaned from Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203813781721858&set=gm.795385650541377&type=1&theater

I appears you can overwinter the roots frost free (like runner bean roots) and resprout them the following year for an earlier crop.

How good is that!  I only just found out  :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:44 »
That's a surprise. I wonder if they would start to crop sooner? I noticed yesterday my overwintered runners are just starting to show signs of sprouting.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2015, 11:39:21 »
That's a surprise. I wonder if they would start to crop sooner? I noticed yesterday my overwintered runners are just starting to show signs of sprouting.
Here too   :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2015, 11:43:51 »
Just wanted to upload a picture of lettuce Spotted Cos.  I'm just blown away how pretty this one is.  Need to separate into individual plants with care (in a bowl of water works best) and plant with bottle cloches.

Such a lovely looking lettuce  :blob7:  Thankyou Goodlife.  By the way I found out that its alternative names are Trout or Forellenschluss.  I had heard of Forellenschluss  (trout's tail) and not realised that this is it.  See for yourself - amazing colours:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:47:15 by galina »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2015, 12:03:15 »
Just wanted to upload a picture of lettuce Spotted Cos.  I'm just blown away how pretty this one is.  Need to separate into individual plants with care (in a bowl of water works best) and plant with bottle cloches.

Such a lovely looking lettuce  :blob7:  Thankyou Goodlife.  By the way I found out that its alternative names are Trout or Forellenschluss.  I had heard of Forellenschluss  (trout's tail) and not realised that this is it.  See for yourself - amazing colours:

Oh, I didn't know that name...thank you for that!
It is rather 'pretty' lettuce and the colours will intensify one they get proper amount of sun on them. I had some that were almost 'purple' but with green spots..and some with opposite effect.  One visitor who came to my GH when I was growing the lettuce in GH said...'what is that then?'..didn't recognize it being lettuce.. :laughing7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal